The National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE) is pleased to announce the availability of two publications from our 2007 National Conference on Science, Policy and the Environment: Integrating Environment and Human Health. The conference report, Integrating Environment and Human Health, and Climate, Poverty and Health: Time for Preventive Medicine, a report of the 7th Annual John H. Chafee Memorial Lecture, delivered by Larry Brilliant, Executive Director of Google.org are now available in PDF formats at http://www.ncseonline.org/2007conference/

Copies of these reports have been mailed to all registered participants in this conference. For those who did not attend the conference, but would like these reports or reports from previous NCSE conferences, please visit http://ncseonline.org/NCSEconference/.

A form to order reports can be downloaded at http://ncseonline.org/04conference/List%20of%20Previous%20Conference%20Reports%201.10.08.doc. Please email the form to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or fax to 202.628.4311. NCSE appreciates contributions of $10 per report to help cover printing and shipping expenses. Please donate online at https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=16467 or send with the request form to

 1101 17th St. NW, Suite 250, Washington, DC 20036

Integrating Environment and Human Health shows how the health of people and the health of the planet are intrinsically, intricately, and intimately interconnected. Despite this, the fields of health science and practice and environmental science and practice have grown increasingly apart over the past half-century. The report presents a series of prescriptions for the difficult but necessary task of integration of environmental and health perspectives.

The report includes recommendations on how to connect environment and health, developed in 23 breakout sessions are grouped under three major themes: Decisionmaking in the Real World; Guiding and Fostering Multi-Disciplinary Research; and Expanding Understanding: Information, Education, and Communication.

The topics addressed are:

Decisionmaking in the Real World

1. Integrating Environment, Culture and Well-Being

2. Risk and Decisionmaking

3. Population, Gender, Justice and Health

4. The Natural Environment, Built Environment, and Social Environment

5. Ecology of Water and Health

6. The Ocean and Human Health

7. Biodiversity and Health

8. Emerging Infectious Disease and other Health Implications of Global Changes and Ecological Trends

9. Children’s Minds: Environment, Development and Mental Function

10. Socially-Mediated Linkages between Resource Depletion and Health

11. Energy, Air Quality and Health

Guiding and Fostering Multi-Disciplinary Research

12. Emerging Issues in Environmental Influences on Reproductive Health

13. Setting Research Priorities for Health and the Environment

14. Community-Based Health: Incorporating Social Sciences and Humanities

15. Medical Geology, Physical Sciences, and Health

16. Ecology and Epidemiology

17. Ecological and Human Health Risk Assessment and Health Impact Assessment of Development Policies, Programs, and Projects

 Expanding Understanding: Information, Education and Communication

18. Health Professionals’ Education and the Environment

19. Bringing Health into Environmental Education

20. Journalists, Mass Media, and Decisionmaking

21. Innovative Uses of Information Technology

22. Designing for Complimentarity among Programs Generating Environmental and Health Information

23. Measuring the Outcomes of Policies and Programs

The report concludes that:
   * Interdisciplinary approaches are essential.
   * Systems thinking provides a useful means of understanding the issues.
* Communication must be improved between environmental and health communities, between scientists and decisionmakers, between scientists and the public. * All stakeholders need to be involved early on and throughout the process of setting science priorities and moving science to policy and management. * Particular attention must be provided to engage often-neglected stakeholders, including women, children, people from diverse cultures and other especially vulnerable populations. * A new interdisciplinary approach must begin very early in the educational process and continue throughout. * The specter of rapid global climatic disruption provides an urgency to bringing these fields together. Keynote addresses by Howard Frumkin, Director, National Center for Environmental Health and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Mirta Roses Periago, Director, Pan American Health Organization, Regional Director, Regional Offices for the Americas, World Health Organization are presented in their entirety.

The report includes summaries of plenary roundtables and symposia, on topics such as systems thinking, avian influenza and environmental and health causes and consequences of Hurricane Katrina.

Climate, Poverty and Health: Time for Preventive Medicine, is an illustrated version of a report of the 7th Annual John H. Chafee Memorial Lecture, delivered by Larry Brilliant, Executive Director of Google.org. Dr. Brilliant is board-certified in preventive medicine and public health. He is a founder and director of The Seva Foundation, which works in dozens of countries around the world, primarily to eliminate preventable and curable blindness.

Dr. Brilliant described many of the negative impacts of climate change on human health and noted that poverty exacerbates the impacts. According to Dr. Brilliant,

"There is still time to act, but we must act soon. We are already in the stage of “secondary prevention”­the Earth has already developed significant problems, and we are looking to prevent further “disease.” I have developed seven prescriptions for secondary prevention of climate change:

1. Reduce population growth through improving child survival, educating girls, and improving the availability of choices.

2. Prioritize global health efforts while factoring in climate change.

3. Increase global disaster preparedness and systems.

4. Address the issue of “peak water”: we need to be aware of salt’s potential devastating effects on water for drinking and growing.

5. Adapt agriculture for a brackish world.

6. Study the unintended consequences of past interventions and learn from them.

7. Develop radical new funding methods for secondary prevention, adaptation, or risk mitigation."

NCSE is continuing to work for a new integrated approach to environment and health through a number of follow up activities.

We are seeking to advance integrated environment-health curriculum through our Council of Environmental Deans and Directors.

NCSE is co-sponsoring the annual meeting of the American Institute of Biological Sciences, Climate, Environment, and Infectious Diseases on May 12-13, 2008 and will be chairing a plenary panel: Climate Change and Human Health: Developing collaborations with the Public Health Community (www.aibs.org ). We invite you to attend this meeting.

NCSE is also partnering with the American Public Health Association in National Public Health Week, April 7-13, 2008 with the theme Climate Change: Our Health in the Balance (www.nphw.org ). We invite you to participate!

We also are continuing to maintain our Environment and Health conference website, www.ncseonline.org/2007conference . Videos and transcripts from presentations at the conference are available, as well as PDFs of the enclosed reports.

Finally, NCSE has created an Encyclopedia of the Earth as a source of information on the environment, including its connections with health. See www.eoearth.org to get access to this information as well find out ways you can contribute.

We are eager to work with you in other efforts to improve decisionmaking on environmental issues through a better understanding of the relationship between environment and health. Please contact David E. Blockstein, Ph.D., Conference Chair and Senior Scientist me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or 202-207-0004.

Note that Starting February 23, 2008, NCSE will have a new address:
            National Council for Science and the Environment

            1101 17th St. NW, Suite 250

            Washington, DC 20036

The phone and fax numbers, and email addresses will remain the same.