Time is running out to reserve your place in the 2008 BCI workshops.
Partial scholarships are available for qualified candidates. More
information can be found on the following webpage:
http://www.batcon.org/home/index.asp?idPage=30&idSubPage=118

Bat Conservation International
2008 BAT CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT WORKSHOPS

Each year, Bat Conservation International (BCI) offers a series of
comprehensive, introductory field workshops to train serious students of
bat conservation in current research and management techniques for the
study of bats. Following an intensive 6-day, 5-night agenda, BCI
biologists and professional colleagues will present a combination of
lectures and discussions, field trips to view bat habitat resources and
hands-on training to catch and identify bats. Learn species
identification, netting, radio-tracking, night-vision observation and
habitat assessment while working in extraordinary settings.

ARIZONA -- Session I has just one spot and Session II has 2 spots
remaining
An Arizona workshop in the Chiricahua Mountains emphasizes western bats.
The Chiricahuas offer a biodiversity unequalled anywhere else in North
America. You can expect to see, and even to capture and handle, as many
as 18 bat species in a single evening, then watch endangered long-nosed
bats visit hummingbird feeders at your front door. Participants have
also enjoyed spotting ring-tailed cats, coatis, and trogans. BCI
workshop veteran Janet Tyburec, Dr. Katy Hinman and Arizona Game and
Fish Department biologists will share a wealth of knowledge on species
identification (including by echolocation calls), bat conservation,
management, education, public health and nuisance issues, artificial
habitats and much more. We will stay at the American Museum of Natural
History's famous Southwestern Research Station, where you will enjoy
superb dining with researchers from around the world. Two sessions: May
20-25 and May 25-30, 2008. Each session limited to 16 people. Departure
city: Tucson, AZ. Cost: $1,395

CALIFORNIA -- just a few spots still available
A California workshop focuses on the conservation and management of bats
in the Pacific Northwest. Set among the rugged backdrop of unique lava
formations at Lava Beds National Monument, we will have an unparalleled
opportunity to observe and discuss how variations in cave environments
uniquely impact where bats roost. In addition to viewing evening bat
emergences and exploring the unique volcanic formations, we will
practice setting nets and traps at ice cave entrances, over wet meadows
and in mixed pine forests. Townsend's big-eared bats and colonies of
Mexican free-tailed bats are just two of the 14 bat species we hope to
encounter at this workshop. Janet Tyburec and local experts lead this
workshop, which features species identification (including by
echolocation calls), bat conservation, threats, management, education,
public health and nuisance issues and much more. Our lodging, located in
the heart of the Pacific Flyway, is tucked between the Tule Lake and
Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuges, both of which boast exceptional
waterfowl diversity where bird-watching and photography opportunities
abound. One session: July 19-24, 2008. Limited to 20 people. Departure
city: Medford, OR. Cost: $1,395

PENNSYLVANIA -- only three spots left
Our Pennsylvania workshop highlights eastern bats and their habitats.
We'll net, trap and release bats over trout streams and beaver ponds,
observe endangered Indiana bats swarming at a mine entrance, watch
20,000 little brown bats in a spectacular dawn return to their roost at
a restored church and examine them up close. Workshop co-leader Cal
Butchkoski of the Pennsylvania Game Commission is a leading expert on
surveying and radio-tracking Indiana bats, as well as one of America's
most successful builders of bat houses and other artificial roosts. Cal
and Janet Tyburec, joined by local consultant John Chenger, will share a
wealth of knowledge covering all aspects of bat conservation,
management, education and public health and nuisance issues. Home
cooking is but one of many unexpected treats at historic Greene Hills
Manor, our workshop headquarters. One session: August 17-22, 2008.
Limited to 20 people. Departure city: Harrisburg, PA. Cost: $1,395

2008 ACOUSTIC MONITORING WORKSHOP -- full, now accepting waitlist
registration forms
workshop session at Lava Beds National Monument in California. The
workshop will cover hardware and software including Anabat, Pettersson
and SonoBat and teach call identifications and how to develop a
monitoring program. Joining BCI's Janet Tyburec will be acoustic
software developers Chris Corben and Joe Szewczak, along with acoustic
experts Sybill Amelon and Ted Weller. The format will be similar to
BCI's Bat Conservation and Management workshops, combining discussions
of current research with hands-on demonstrations and fieldwork. Each
night, we will be capturing bats and developing call libraries so
participants can return to their home study areas and begin their own
projects armed with knowledge and experience. BCI will have equipment
available, but participants are encouraged to bring there own systems.
The Acoustic Monitoring Workshop is an advanced workshop designed for
graduates of previous BCI workshops and/or experienced bat workers. One
session: July 24-29, 2008. Limited to 20 people. Departure city:
Medford, OR. Cost: $1,595

For additional information, registration forms and scholarship
applications, visit www.batcon.org <http://www.batcon.org/>  'Get
Involved' or contact Kari Gaukler, BCI, PO Box 162603, Austin, TX 78716;
512-327-9721; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>