We have a position available for an undergraduate student interested in
ecology or environmental life sciences.

Background: Atmospheric deposition of nitrogen (N), resulting from human
activities such agriculture and fossil fuel combustion, has the potential to
alter ecological processes in lakes. Levels of N deposition levels have
risen in ecosystems downwind of urban areas, such as the central Rocky
Mountains in Colorado. We will investigate microbially-mediated
denitrification in sediments of lakes subject to N deposition, as
denitrification may ameliorate the effects of N deposition by permanently
removing excess N inputs.

Qualifications:

+Previous field research experience is preferred, but we will will train
+Ability to use or learn to use handheld data recorders, GPS, computers,
other field equipment
+Ability to work both independently and in a small group
+Valid US driver's license
+Attention to detail, flexibility, and willingness to work long hours

Timing: ~ 8 weeks from mid June through August 2008.
$3,500 stipend for the entire period. Housing and food will be provided at
field stations near the study sites.

The field assistant will have two main tasks: (1) performing fieldwork to
support the overall project, which may include hiking to alpine lakes,
collecting sediment cores from an inflatable boat, collecting lake water
samples, and performing general laboratory work, including setting up
sediment core incubations, and conducting chemical analyses; (2) conducting
an independent research project.

The student will have hands-on experience conducting ecological fieldwork in
Colorado, will gain familiarity with the principles of scientific research
and experimental design, and conduct an independent project.

To apply, please send a letter describing qualifications and experience
and your interest; resume/CV; and names and contact information of two
references electronically (Word or .pdf file attachments) to Michelle
McCrackin, School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University via email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]