I have been discussing the merits of stream restoration with some colleagues and I've been fussing over the potential loss of wetlands as a result of the removal of dams. My stream-oriented friends have been asking why I've been worried about the loss of what amounts to artificial wetlands in the first place? Aside from the fact that they're typically considered jurisdictional, it got me wondering if we (collectively) have any idea whatsoever how many wetlands in the landscape are artificial? In other words, how many wetlands exist because of human activities, such as roads, railroads, and the like? (Let's keep mitigation, stormwater, and treatment wetlands out of the discussion for now.) Anyone have a clue?

Thanks.

Andy Cole

Charles Andrew Cole, Ph.D.
Associate Director