Summer Research Opportunity
Effects of Emerald Ash Borer on Forest Ecosystems

Job description: • Work with US Forest Service and Ohio State University researchers to collect ecological data in forested areas in Ohio and Michigan • Opportunities for independent research projects • $11.60 / hour • 10-15 week appointment June-August

Qualifications: • Interest in forest ecology • Able to work in sometimes extreme conditions (poison ivy, nettle, mosquitoes, swamps, rain, heat, etc.) • Knowledge of plant identification a plus! • Student in fall 2008 • US citizen or national • At least 18 years old by start date

Contact:
Dr. Kathleen Knight 359 Main Rd. Delaware, OH 43015 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
740-368-0063

To apply, send resume, copy of transcript, and contact information for two references. Applications will be considered as they are received.

Here's some more detailed information about the position: The big picture of what we're doing: This is the fourth summer of data collection on a large research project focused on the effects of emerald ash borer (EAB) on forest ecosystems. EAB has already killed 25 million ash trees in Michigan and northern Ohio, and has the potential to decimate all North American ash species, causing widespread disturbance in forest ecosystems that will be similar to the chestnut blight or Dutch elm disease. My study sites are across northern, western, and central Ohio, and collaborators John Cardina and Dan Herms at OSU - Wooster have study sites in Michigan. We are quantifying the decline of ash trees by rating the crown condition and recording symptoms of EAB yearly for >2000 ash trees in forests in various stages of infestation. We are measuring the effects of the gaps opening up on the forest ecosystem, including increasing understory light levels, facilitation of invasive plant species, responses of native woody and herbaceous species, and changes in soil properties.

What your experience would be like: You would work with me for 10-15 weeks (exact dates are negotiable) encompassing June, July, and August, and possibly part of May and/or September. It would probably work best if you live near Columbus or Delaware (40 minutes north of Columbus) and if you have a car to drive to the lab in Delaware, but it would work fine if you don't have a car or live elsewhere on the weekends. Most of our time will be spent collecting data. We visit many different and interesting forest types in Ohio and Michigan, from upland hardwoods to riparian forests to swamps. Some areas are beautiful, some are a mess of invasive species and poison ivy. You would gain experience identifying ash species and invasive plant species, using ecological research techniques to rate tree canopies, estimate percent cover of vegetation, and measuring understory light levels. Typically, we leave from the Delaware lab on Monday morning, travel together in a government vehicle to a part of the state, and stay in a hotel or other housing all week while visiting all the sites there, returning by Friday afternoon. There will be approx. 6 weeks of this kind of travel in Ohio, and possibly 2 weeks of joining collaborators in Michigan. You will be reimbursed for all travel expenses. There will be 2-3 weeks of sites that are nearer to Columbus and Delaware, so we just do day trips to those. Along with two other students, you would primarily work with me, however, there will be other scientists from OSU, the forest service, and the University of Chicago who will meet up with us at times to work in the plots.

When we have some downtime, you will read some literature on forest disturbance ecology, current EAB research, etc., and start thinking about your research project. We have amassed a huge data set on these plots, which we will be adding to over the summer. There are many possibilities for using part of that data set for a small research project. For example: Baseline mortality rates of ash trees in uninfested forests Relationships between ash canopy decline and specific symptoms of emerald ash borer Relationship between invasive species and canopy openness Spatial distribution of invasive species or ash mortality (great project if you're into GIS) Relationship between invasive species and native species And many more!

We will discuss your research project through the summer - as you see the plots, you may come up with other ideas for interesting questions we can look at with the data set. Or there may be another factor that would be easy to measure in a subset of the plots. After all of the data you need is collected and entered, I will get you the data you need for the project and work with you to analyze it You could then do a poster or presentation at a research conference in the winter or spring. Depending on the results and how much time you have, a manuscript may also be possible.