(513)-529-3175
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news [EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Madhusudan Katti [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:31 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Onomatopoeia animal names

Two examples from India immediately come to mind:

House Gecko - Hemidactylus frenatus - is known as Tiktiki in Bangla
(or Bengali) language.
Tucktoo (local and English common name) - Gekko gecko - is another
gecko found in Assam.

I'm sure I can remember plenty of other examples if I sit down and
think about it for a while.

Madhu