In Portuguese, birds also are named by their sounds:

arara - a common name for many species of psittacids that do not immitate other
sounds, but always shout "arara!"

bem-te-vi: the comon name of Pitangus sulphuratus, hear it here:
http://www.youtube.com/wat=h?v=6I49Fqo_IWg

"Bem te vi" means someshitng like "I saw you and I liked it" or "I did see
you!".

In Japanese, the "official" name for dog is inu, but there is a very popular
onomatopoeic form: "wan tchan". Wan comes from the bark, tchan is simply a
"title" commonly given for children, pets, young girls, female friends and
elders.

Regards,

Matheus C. Carvalho
PhD s=udent
Kitasato University - School of Fishery Sciences
Japan

      Abra sua conta no Yahoo! Mail, o único sem limite de espaço para
armazenamento!
http://br.mail.yahoo.com/