Wayne Tyson writes:

> I take
> it, however, that he wants someone to beg for information about "other, far
> less expensive "cool roofing" solutions are available as well without going
> to the bother of creating rooftop gardens."  Ok, I'm begging, Wirt!

Begging isn't necessary. This EPA site is a good place to start:

  http://www.epa.gov/heatisld/strategies/level3_roofproducts.html

It's important to understand that cool roofs aren't going to greatly affect
global warming, at least not directly as a radiative transfer mechanism. The
amount of infrared radiation reradiated upwards by normal roofs, when averaged
globally over the surface of the Earth, isn't significant to any measurable
degree.

But cool roofs do contribute to a lessening of greenhouse gases indirectly
because they cause buildings to be greatly more efficient in their use of
energy, particularly for summertime airconditioning, and any attribute that
lessens overall power consumption is only to the good.

Wirt Atmar