I'll try to answer your specific questions below, but I'm skipping the first 5
for now (sorry to disappoint).
By the way, thanks to everyone who has sent information off-list so far!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: SCIENCE  Methods for making more sense than nonsense by sampling
reality  Re: [ECOLOG-L] Inferring weed distribution from herbarium records and
GIS layers
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:02:25 -0700

For Dr. Quinn
(and for comment by the Forum):

1. What are you
trying to demonstrate or infer?This herbarium dataset was obtained as one small
part of a larger project looking at the effects of peri-urban development and
water quality on aquatic macrophytes in Australia. Because I found a series of
GIS layers that classify land use and cover (almost) the whole of the continent
and because I had this great continental-scale database of most of the aquatic
weeds, I thought it would be interesting to see if there were strong
correlations between land use and aquatic weed distribution on a national
scale. I added another GIS layer, one that characterizes dominant vegetation
and cover, because this appears to be the type of data that a lot of other
published papers rely on to characterize land use (that is, I don't think there
are a lot of widely-available GIS layers out there that specifically
characterize polygons by land use, rather than by some proxy of land use like
vegetation cover).

2. How did you
determine the relevance of "100 km of a city," and to what factors was that
considered relevant?
 I'd never heard the term "peri-urban" before coming to Australia, but it seems
to be a buzz word here. However, it doesn't seem to be strictly defined
anywhere that I know of and people use it to refer to any sort of transition
zone between truly urban areas and completely undisturbed ones. Since my
project is specifically related to peri-urban land use and I want to capture as
many of those fuzzily-defined areas as possible, I somewhat arbitrarily chose
100 km radii. That could be easily changed to any other value.

3. How does
time figure into your investigation? How are the 1580 records (ca 55 records
per
species, or how are the species distributed as a fraction of the total)
distributed over time?Not sure about time. But, no, in the 1580 records, some
species are more common than others. I can look at them singly, as "types"
(emergent, submerged, free floating, etc), or as the whole lumped group.
4. How will the
results of your investigation fit into the existing literature on the subject,
and how will it advance it? As far as I know, there are very few papers that
look at the distribution of freshwater aquatic species on a scale like this.
There are studies that link aquatic weeds with land use, but this, again, would
put that on a new scale. Also, it may be useful for land managers who could
spend more time in the right areas to prevent or control invasions.5. Are there
any ArcGIS layers that are not applicable or useful to your data set or
investigation? Probably, but I don't think I'm adding more and more layers just
because I can.  As I have
inferred, I tend to believe that "anecdote is the singular of data,"
so think there must be a "pony" in there somewhere if you keep looking long
enough. Just what kind of pony, how big, and how fast--who knows? The
important thing, it seems to me, is the quest itself. Even if you find that it
is invalid
to use herbarium records to interpret distribution, or that the interpretation
possibilities are severely limited, you will still have made a significant
contribution. Negative results are still results.
Yes, I hope I can find a way to use this data to make that contribution. It
seems like I have everything I need, but I still can't get my head around
sampling from map data in a statistically sound sort of way.  Some papers use
logistic regression to explain presence/absence based on map-extractable
environmental data, but I'm don't think my "absences" really count as true
absences (some of you have brought up "presence-only" analyses off list).
Anyway, still working on it. If anyone has any more thoughts now that I've
explained a little more of my project, please send them my way.

Thank you!Lauren

I hope you will
keep the Forum informed as your study progresses.

WT