Dear All - I find it quite interesting that the majority (if not all) of the responses to David's question about why Salix predominate at high latitudes and altitudes are dominated by population ecologists, discussing mostly pollination syndromes, whereas contributions by ecophysiologists are entirely absent. One can not fully understand the distribution of a species without also considering it's physiological tolerances to biotic and abiotic stresses. This could especially involve aspects of hydraulic architecture (avoiding freezing-induced embolisms), phenology (leafing out only when the probability of xylem freezing is mostly past), achieving high rates of photosynthesis due to a short growing season, producing a high ratio of leaves to biomass to maximize whole plant carbon uptake, biochemical/anatomical/physiological tolerances or avoidance of flooding stress, and so on. These suites of ecophysiological/biomechanical adaptations might also have a major influence on reproductive strategies, yet there is little in the literature relating ecophysiological adaptations to reproductive adaptations; rather, the two are most often viewed as separate magisteria (to badly paraphrase Stephen J. Gould). To give but one example - if Salix do indeed have high rates of photosynthesis either on a leaf or whole plant basis, it would suggest they also have high hydraulic conductivities, which in turn would support high stomatal conductivities. This would mean they might have relatively weak wood (large lumens, thin walls). That in turn means a lowered mechanical advantage, or in other words, the tree can not support a lot of weight (think hanging, pendulous willow branches on some species). That in turn might mean producing small seeds which are highly dispersable, rather than 5 lb coconuts. Just a thought exercise - I'm sure someone smarter than me (I?) can find logical flaws in this argument. The point is that we should be considering all aspects of a species ecology, not just how it has sex.
Howie Neufeld

--
Dr. Howard S. Neufeld, Professor
Department of Biology