The Elkhorn Slough Coastal Training Program announces a
40-hour training on wetlands delineation to be held near Moss Landing,
California November 17-21, 2008.  Lots has changed with the field of wetland
delineation in recent times, including new Supreme Court rulings and ACOE
adoption of new, regional manuals and criteria for delineating wetlands. Well
known wetlands experts Drs. Lyndon Lee, Peggy Fiedler, and Robert Curry will
teach the class. They will be joined by soils expert Dr. Andrew Harley and
ecological
restoration expert Dr. Grey Hayes.  While
most wetlands delineation courses feature a single teacher with more narrow
expertise, this is a rare opportunity to explore each of the three wetlands
delineation parameters (soils, hydrology, and vegetation) in depth with well
respected experts trained specifically in each area.

Individuals from the private sector, all federal, state,
regional, county and municipal agencies, universities and private non-profit
organizations are encouraged to attend and will be accepted on a
first-come-first-served basis.  Total
course enrollment will be limited to 45 individuals.  Tuition for the course
will be $1400.  In addition to tuition, all participants will
be expected to pay for their travel and per diem expenses. Further details
concerning tuition, lodging, and course logistics are explained in the course
flier, available for download from the website.

The website for this workshop is:

http://www.elkhornsloughctp.org/training/
show_train_detail.php?TRAIN_ID=JuDD9PX

The chief objective of the training will be to provide
participants with a comprehensive, lecture and field-based introduction to
delineation of Waters of the United
  States, including wetlands. The technical
foundations for the course will be the 1987 "Corps Of Engineers Wetlands
Delineation Manual," the “Interim Regional Supplement to the Corps:  Arid West
Region,” and the “Draft Regional
Supplement to the Corps Manual: Western
 Mountains, Valleys, and
Coast Region.”  In order to accomplish
the overall objective, specific segments of the course agenda will focus on:

(a)  Recognition and
description of hydrologic indicators of wetland conditions on California’s
central coast

(b)        Identification
and characterization of hydric soils and soil-forming processes characteristic
to wetland sites in central, coastal California

(c)        Identification
and characterization of hydrophytic plant communities typical to wetlands on
California’s central coast

(d)       Synthesis of
hydrologic, soils, and plant community information for jurisdictional
delineation of relatively pristine as well as highly degraded wetlands on
California’s central coast consistent with (1) the 1987 Corps Of Engineers
Wetlands Delineation Manual ,   (2) the
1994 National Food Security Act Manual, and (3) current federal, stat
(including California Coastal Commission) and local agency policies and
operating procedures.

(e)        Field and
administrative techniques for (1) documentation and/or presentation of
delineations of Waters of the U.S.,
including wetlands, and (2) recognition and documentation of non-compliance
with federal, California and local
waters/wetlands protection statutes.

Throughout the course, lectures and classroom exercises will
be combined with field trips to several different types of waters/wetland
ecosystems in the vicinity of northern Monterey
and southern Santa Cruz
counties.  Field exercises and
discussions during the course will focus on a range of waters/wetland types
that are typical to the Central Coast region of California.
Field exercises are designed to vary in difficulty from the most basic to the
most difficult jurisdictional calls. Stops will include estuarine tidal and
freshwater marshes, riparian forests, vernal pools, seasonally wet meadows,
slope wetlands, filled wetlands and other highly degraded sites.

Participants will work closely with instructors to develop
state-of-the-art knowledge of how to recognize and accurately map the
geographic extent of Waters of the U.S, including wetlands.  In particular, the
course will focus on how
to use the 1987 Corps Of Engineers methodology for identifying and delineating
jurisdictional wetlands and relationships between the 1987 Corps Manual and the
“Interim Regional Supplement to the Corps:
Ar
id West Region,” and the “Draft Regional Supplement to the Corps
Manual: Western Mountains, Valleys, and Coast Region.”  Given the moderate size
of the class (45
students total), and the collective expertise of the instructor team,
participants will have a rare opportunity to hone existing wetland delineation
skills and to develop and apply new skills in a course that is specifically
tailored for wetlands typical to California’s
central coast. This is a field based course. In this regard, a
"hands-on" approach will be emphasized during all phases of lecture
and field instruction.

Upon successful completion of the course and requisite
lecture and field examinations, participants will receive NWSTC CERTIFICATION
that documents 40+ hours of training in the use of the 1987 Corps of Engineers
Wetlands Delineation Manual, the Interim Regional Supplement to the Corps:
Arid West Region, and the Draft Regional Supplement
to the Corps Manual: Western Mountains, Valleys, and Coast Region.

What’s the difference between this and other wetlands
delineation workshops?

This course will discuss concerns on the new emphasis by
regulatory agencies on the Arid West Region, and the Draft Regional Supplement
to the Corps Manual: Western
 Mountains, Valleys, and
Coast Region.

This course has a team teaching approach using experts in
all three wetlands parameters.  This
course examines, in the field with=2
0hands-on methodologies, a wide array of
wetland types including vernal pool, tidal wetland, hillslope seeps, riparian,
seasonally wet meadows, disturbed and undisturbed wetlands, etc etc: the widest
array of wetlands of any course of which we are aware in the region.

What have past participants said?

“I left the course
feeling confident that I will be able to converse about and care for the
wetlands I manage more effectively…. I am already in contact with several folks
I met throught the class - planning site visits with some and troubleshooting
with others. I feel like my work community expanded greatly over the course of
the week - like I have some folks to bounce ideas off of and call when I am
stumped. Hurrah! Thanks for an amazing week!”

“My job requires that
I fill out jurisdictional determination forms (integrating the Rapanos
decision),
so it was very useful for the instructors to address the precedence and details
of how to address these requests coming from clients and the agencies.”

“Learning about the
jurisdictional changes with Rapanos and applying those to actual sites was the
most rewarding thing about the workshop.”

“Having a much better
knowledge of what is and isn't a legal wetland and learning that not all
wetlands and waters are considered equals in the eyes of the law was very
valuable.”

Grey Hayes, Ph
Coordinator
Coastal Training
Program
Elkhorn Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve
1700 Elkhorn
Road
Watsonville, CA  95076
(831) 274-8700 (v)