Call for papers: organized session on insect outbreaks and forest
ecosystems at the Association of American Geographers (AAG) Annual
Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada (March 22-27, 2009)

Insect outbreaks and forest ecosystems:  Patterns, causes, and impacts

Insect outbreaks have affected millions of hectares in North America in
recent decades and have long been an important component of many
ecosystems. Infestations reduce plant productivity, alter stand
composition, and/or kill trees, and therefore substantially impact forest
dynamics, biogeochemical cycles, subsequent disturbance regimes, and human
uses of forests.  Drivers of outbreaks include warming temperatures,
drought, and host stand structure and composition.  In spite of the
widespread insect activity in recent years and the recognition of the
importance of outbreaks in the natural disturbance regimes of many forest
ecosystems, relatively little is known about the causes and consequences
of past and present insect epidemics.

We are organizing a paper session on the patterns, causes, and impacts of
insect outbreaks in forested ecosystems. We are interested in
presentations focused on that main theme in regions worldwide, and welcome
presentations that use any methodological approach and span a range of
spatial and temporal scales.

Session will be sponsored by the AAG Biogeography and Mountain Geography
specialty groups.

If you are interested in participating in the session, please contact Jeff
Hicke, Dominik Kulakowski, or Rosemary Sherriff by October 1, 2008.  Once
we have a list of participants we’ll gather abstracts, pin numbers, and
other information to submit before the October 16th deadline.

Jeff Hicke - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dominik Kulakowski - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Rosemary Sherriff - [EMAIL PROTECTED]