Please distribute to any undergraduates who might be interested:

Unique Opportunity for Ten Undergraduates
2009 Ecological Genetics Field Study Abroad in China

With funding from NSF's Partnerships for International Research and Education
(PIRE) program, we
are offering 10 undergraduates (U.S. citizens or permanent residents only) the
opportunity to
participate in a unique study abroad opportunity in China during the summer of
2009 (mid-May
through mid-July).

The research focus of our PIRE grant is a forensic biogeographic study of
species that are native to
China and invasive in the southeastern U.S. as well as a growing number of
species native to the
southeastern U.S. and invasive in China. Each summer, we will run an 8 week
field course where
we will visit biological communities throughout China. After the field course,
students can elect to
continue in short-term research internships in our partner labs in China.

Students will need to be prepared to take full advantage of this experience.
Each spring semester,
students will enroll at the University of Georgia (UGA) and take 3 courses; two
in intensive
elementary Mandarin Chinese and a laboratory course in genetics. No prior
experience with
Chinese language is required, although students should have had at least a
course in introductory
biology and preferably courses in ecology and evolutionary biology.

The cost to the student of the summer program is minimal:  the grant covers
travel to and within
China, lodging and most meals. The student is responsible for insurance, visa
costs and personal
expenses. Students are also responsible for the costs of enrolling at the
University of Georgia for
all required courses (all students are charged at the in-state tuition rate of
~$200 per credit
hour).

Applications for the 2009 program are available on our website:
http://www.genetics.uga.edu/pire. The deadline for application is fast
approaching, although we
can extend it if a highly motivated student contacts us showing interest and
needing some
additional time to get together the application materials. We encourage any
interested students to
contact us for more information. Or, see the web site:
“http://www.genetics.uga.edu/pire/undergrad.html” or e-mail us at [EMAIL
PROTECTED]

Rodney Mauricio
Program Director, UGA-China PIRE