Funding is available for a either a M.S. or Ph.D. student in the Department
of Biology and Wildlife at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.  The student
will join a broader research project examining stream and watershed hydro-
biogeochemistry in the boreal forest of Alaska.  Discontinuous permafrost
underlies much of the boreal forest of interior Alaska and has a major
effect on watershed carbon and nutrient fluxes by controlling watershed
hydrology and the storage of organic matter in soil.  With climatic
warming, permafrost is thawing, which will alter watershed hydrology and
release soil carbon and nutrients to streams and the atmosphere.  Our
research examines the implications of climate change on watershed
hydrology, nutrient fluxes and stream biogeochemistry.  This work is funded
through the Bonanza Creek Long Term Ecological Program
(http://www.lter.uaf.edu/) and is focused in the Caribou-Poker Creeks
Research Watersheds (CPCRW) located near Fairbanks.  Additional information
about research in my lab can be found at
http://users.iab.uaf.edu/~jay_jones/.  Review of applications by the
Department of Biology and Wildlife at the University of Alaska Fairbanks
begins January 15.  For more information, please contact Dr. Jay Jones at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or 907-474-7972.