Hi All,

I'm seeking a better understanding of the difference in these to
widely referenced points of view on niche/trophic assembly.

In an assembly of organisms in a habitat that are seen with Hutchinson
glasses, over time one organism in a group of like organisms would
have some advantage and slowly (or quickly) use up those resources
that the advantage incurs to that organism.

With Hubbell glasses, the like organisms in a single trophic level are
all essentially the same, even though they are different species.  One
individual replaces another in the suite of like species when an
'opening' occurs due to death.

These very simple charaterizations are the basis for my question.

If each species in the group of organisms have specific most critical
habitat needs, would they be similar needs or disparate needs, to fall
into either the Hutchinson or Hubbell explanation?   That is, if all
the like organisms of the several species, all were found to have as
their most critical habitat requirement to be rainfall in the winter,
which explanation would fit best?  If some species had winter
rainfall, and some summer temperature as their most critical habitat
requirement, which explanation is more explanatory?

Happy T-day

William Espenshade