We seek a highly motivated graduate student to participate in a project
examining the effects of the post-fire restoration methods in sagebrush
ecosystems. Public lands are often re-seeded using seed drills, particularly
on Bureau of Land Management lands.  Although agencies often monitor
vegetation recovery, little is known about soil recovery and the impacts
these drills have on soil properties. Thus, we seek a student to partake in
a project looking at the effects of two seed drills and fire on soils (and
related flora and fauna) in the sagebrush steppe.  This experiment compares
the effects of the well-known rangeland drill and a newer drill, the
minimum-till drill. The student must be interested in taking basic soil
physical and chemical measurements and is encouraged to develop further
study, which may focus on questions related to plant, soil, microbial or
animal responses to restoration techniques.

Funding: The nationally competitive stipend for the research assistantship
is $21,600 per year for two years, which includes a tuition waiver. Fees are
not included, but the potential exists to compete for further funding,
scholarships, and teaching assistantships. Additional years of funding are
also possible through these avenues; thus, students potentially interested
in a PhD are encouraged to apply as funding may become available.

Qualifications:
•       BS degree in biology, ecology, geology, or related field
•       Familiarity with plant, soil and fire ecology
•       Interest in community and ecosystem ecology in arid and semi-arid
regions
•       Desire to interact with land managers and have an interest in helping
improve land management decisions
•       Previous research experience and good experimental and field skills are
desired
•       Strong verbal and written communication skills
•       Evidence of statistical knowledge, laboratory analytic skills, and
ability
to publish research results in refereed journals is highly desired.

Personal Qualifications: The candidate should be self-motivated, focused,
and able to work independently and as part of a team. You should be capable
of driving to remote sites on 4WD roads, hiking several kilometers,
withstanding harsh field conditions, and willing to camp in primitive areas.

How to Apply: Please email the following to Beth Newingham at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]: (1) your resume or CV (including GRE scores and
percentiles); (2) a letter of interest, including research interests,
professional goals and prior experience, and (3) contact information for
three references. Further questions can be directed to Dr. Newingham at
208-332-4402 or via e-mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Information about the
University of Idaho and College of Natural Resources can be found at
www.cnr.uidaho.edu.

Applications will be considered starting January 26, 2009 and will continue
until the position is filled. The preferred start date is Summer 2009 but
Fall 2009 is negotiable.

NOTE: I will be at the "Wildfires and Invasive Plants in American Deserts"
meeting December 9-11 in Reno, NV, and the American Geophysical Union
meeting December 15-19 in San Francisco, CA. Interested students at these
meetings should contact me by e-mail and we can set up a time to meet.