Thank you for bringing this issue to light.

The Midwest PARC (Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation) recently
discussed this issue at the September meeting.  Specifically, in many states
there is no "season" for turtles, which makes nesting females an easy
target.  Midwest PARC discussed not only a bag limit, but also placing a
season on turtles to avoid the capture of reproducing animals.  In many of
these midwest states, turtles are legal to capture with a valid fishing
license.  Clearly, limiting harvest by placing the same restrictions that
are in place for many other vertebrates (deer, turkey, etc) would be a huge
step in decreasing the loss of these animals and increasing the number of
recruits into the population.

I suggest that if you are interested in this, you contact your regional PARC
as other regions may have similar initiatives.  The national link is:
http://www.parcplace.org/.  From this website, you can be directed to your
local PARC representatives.

Lori Neuman-Lee

Lori Neuman-Lee
Eastern Illinois University, M.S. 2010
Iowa State University, B.S. Biology 2007
Iowa State University, B.S. English 2008
lorin...@gmail.com

-