National Geographic’s Remote Imaging Department would like to announce the
publication of the Proceedings from the first Animal-Borne Imaging
Symposium. Animal-borne imaging is a growing discipline that integrates
video, audio, environmental, geospatial and physiological data collection
in an animal-borne instrument. Recording from the animal's point of view,
without human presence, it enables unobtrusive study of
difficult-to-observe animal behavior. In recent years, ever-miniaturizing
video and digital technologies have enabled smaller, more streamlined, and
more robust data-rich systems to be developed.  This progression has led
to more deployments on more species, which has resulted in an expanding
body of statistically-supported assertions of novel behaviors and
ecological relationships that have far-reaching conservation and
management implications.

We wanted to provide a venue for researchers to share and celebrate their
experiences using these imaging systems, so in October 2007, the National
Geographic Society hosted the first-ever Animal-Borne Imaging Symposium at
its headquarters in Washington DC.  More than fifty researchers from
around the world participated in this inaugural conference, and over the
three days, delegates gave some 50 presentations, and hosted two dozen
additional panels, films, and student/teacher activities exploring this
concept.  To encapsulate this knowledge, and make it available for
reference, we've published our Animal-Borne Imaging Symposium Proceedings.

Those interested in obtaining a free copy of the book can download the PDF
(14MB) by clicking on the “Animal-Borne Imaging Symposium Proceedings”
link from the following webpage: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/abis/.

Regards,

Danielle Rappaport
Program Coordinator