From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of Wendee Holtcamp
[bohem...@wendeeholtcamp.com]
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 6:10 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] wildfire impact on wildlife? Santa Barbara etc?

I was considering doing an (Animal Planet) blog post on the impact of
wildfire on wildlife. I was tying it to the Santa Barbara fires but those
folks are otherwise preoccupied, and I can't get hold of anyone. I wondered
if anyone might have a perspective on how wildfires impact wildlife
especially when they occur at times like this - spring when birds may be
nesting etc. Do wildlife rehabs end up with burned animals, or do most
animals get out of the way? Is nesting/repro success reduced for individual
animals living in burn zones? Has anyone ever studied that? What species out
near Santa Barbara are most at risk? Any endangered or threatened species?

Thanks!!

Wendee

     Wendee Holtcamp, M.S. Wildlife Ecology
    Freelance Writer * Photographer * Bohemian
          http://www.wendeeholtcamp.com <http://www.wendeeholtcamp.com/>
     http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com
<http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com/>
~~6-wk Online Writing Course Starts Jun 6, 2009~~
I'm Animal Planet's news blogger - http://blogs.discovery.com/animal_news