Jim,

Please note that what follows is meant mainly as a general discussion
of intellectual property, not of your particular case.

"Why would you think that you can use my hard work without asking?"

For the same reason you can cite or quote a paper of mine without
asking -- even if you're using it to make a case I strongly disagree
with. (That case is not directly analogous, as you wouldn't be copying
the entire paper, but then if I use a photo of yours in a
presentation, it'll only be on screen for 30 seconds or so.) Moreover,
you can make copies of my paper and give them to students or
colleagues without my permission. They can read the paper or use it to
line the birdcage. If I'm sending you, say, a prepublication copy as a
favor, I can ask you not to redistribute it, but once it's published,
it's out of my hands.

I am honestly intrigued by how people come to think of copying as
stealing. If I walk into your house and steal your TV, you no longer
have a TV. If I use a photo from your website and credit you, what
have you lost? Now, the situation is different if you are a
professional photographer and rely on photography to make money. Then
the problem becomes truly difficult -- and beyond the scope of ECOLOG!
(But keep in mind that hardly anyone is going to pay for a photo for a
presentation. If it's not free, I'm just not going to use it.)

Don't worry -- I'm not actually going to use anything from your
website. You can set whatever conditions you want and, morally and
legally, I have to abide by them. But this line of discussion is
closely related to that about access to the scientific literature.
BTW, why do you set such restrictive conditions on who can use your
photos?

Best,
Jane

--