All,

I'm involved in research where we're using maximum likelihood and AICc methods to evaluate the fit of our observed data to various model distributions. The methods are rather straightforward, but we have hit a snag for one model, and I was hoping a member of this listserv could recommend where to find a solution.

Simplifying things here to make it easier, let's say we're comparing our continuous (i.e., non-discrete) data to normal and uniform distributions. (These are reasonable distributions to use for our data.) For the normal distribution, it's a simple task to compare our observations to a normal distribution with maximum likelihood estimators (MLEs) estimated by the mean and variance of our observed data. For the uniform distribution, the relevant MLEs are the observed minimum and the maximum. The problem is that when we do this, we are finding a consistent bias in favor of the uniform model (even when we use test data that are clearly non-uniformly distributed.) We suspect the cause of the bias is two-fold. First, minima and maxima are biased estimates of population parameters (in contrast to those for the normal distribution). In other words, sampled extremes will always underestimate population extremes in practice. Yet, these observed extremes *are* the appropriate MLEs for the uniform distribution. Second, the uniform model is theoretically bounded by the minimum and the maximum whereas the normal is theoretically unbounded (meaning values can range from negative to positive infinity, even if the likelihood of such observations are essentially negligible.) The result of both problems seems to result in a biased fit for the uniform model (which is bounded by observed values), but not of the normal distribution (which are not so bounded). We suspect that the second problem is the more problematical one in our case (in large part because we're using the appropriate MLEs for each model). We (including a statistician) have been unable to find discussion of this issue--bias caused by comparing an internally bounded model to an unbounded one--in the statistical or ecological literature and we're hoping that you might be able to offer advice.

Feel free to reply directly to me off-line.

Sincerely,
Phil

Phil Novack-Gottshall pnova...@westga.edu

  Assistant Professor