Kelly and Forum:

(Please forgive me for changing the lead on the subject line--this will get
lost in the thousands of archived ecologs if I don't)

The crucial pivot-point in conservation and restoration ecology policy
decisions probably should be somewhere around the causal factors of the
potential extinction in question. If, for example, the Chinese turtles in your
example, were "driven" to the brink of extinction by "apes gone wild," er,
"civilized," there is, I submit, a moral imperative to pull it back, to atone
for our sin against Nature, by God. Much better this than wasting the resources
needed for such atonement on species which have declined because they are
adapted to an age, habitat conditions, tolerance limits, and needs gone by as
the earth changes due to forces far beyond the anthropomorphic.

"Preservation" does not, it seems to me, to apply to individual species, and
certainly not their "enzooment." Adjusting our habits to habitat requirements
of whole ecosystems and ecosystem subsets, however, is a much more efficient
way of clawing our way back up the slippery slope muddied by excess, onto more
and more solid ground. Still, there are instances, even with "enzooment," where
mere captivity of curiosities morphs into compensatory restoration, as in, so
far, at least, the encouraging case of the California condor. Whoop, whoop,
HOORAY! Ladies and gentlemen, start your ultra-light engines, and soar, soar,
SOAR!

So what if they are charismatic--they serve as surrogates for my favorite
organisms, should they ever be in need of our protection (thank the God of it
all they don't NEED it), the cyanobacteria. Or DO they need it? Naw, I think we
need THEIR protection.

I remember when I tried to save a big patch of cryptobiotic soil crust from a
parking lot and "lawn." I was laughed out of the office. But that didn't stop
me.

And, at long last, but not least, there are the lessons to be learned about
ecosystems, even--especially--from our errers.

WT