James Crants wrote:

> My concern is not so much with the field test as with eventual
> commercialization and widespread distribution of these trees
> in places eucalyptus is not currently able to invade.

James, the APHIS link I provided in my previous post
http://tinyurl.com/mutlmu explained:

"the Eucalyptus species used by ArborGen, Eucalyptus
grandis x Eucalyptus urophyll is not considered invasive."

"the GE hybrid trees are unlikely to produce seed, the trees
are unlikely to hybridize with any nearby species, any offspring
are likely to be sickly, and Eucalyptus grandis has difficulty
establishing in the wild."

"Eucalyptus grandis has been grown commercially in Florida
since the 1960s and there has been no evidence that the
species has escaped from cultivation and has become invasive.
There is no reason to believe that adding cold tolerance to
this genetic background would increase the likelihood that
the species would become invasive."

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.