Hi everyone,

As a reminder, we've extended registration for this workshop through this
Wednesday, July 1st.

Jennifer

----------------

Do you teach ecology at the undergraduate level? Do you use data in your
courses? We invite you to come explore how continental-scale datasets can be
used in your teaching!

ESA is offering an all-day Sunday
workshop<http://eco.confex.com/eco/2009/techprogram/S4520.HTM> at the 2009 ESA
Annual Meeting to help prepare the ecology education community for the use of
National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) data in undergraduate
classrooms. This workshop is a continuation of the effort begun with last
year's NSF-funded faculty development
workshop<http://www.esa.org/education_diversity/neon/workshop/> in Washington
DC. Similar to last year's workshop, faculty will explore classroom uses of
continental-scale data, focusing on datasets currently available through
EcoTrends<http://www.ecotrends.info/EcoTrends/>. EcoTrends includes over 20,000
datasets from Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) sites, USDA, and other state
and federal agencies.

Space is still available! We have extended the deadline to July 1st. Workshop
registration is $25 and includes lunch and a preparatory webinar on July 8th.

The workshop will focus on guided discussion of how participants can use the
data in classroom exercises to address four key ecological challenges
(biodiversity, biogeochemistry, climate change, and ecohydrology). Preceding
the August Workshop, there will be an introductory webinar on Wednesday, July 8
(2-4 PM EST) and a data exploration "homework" assignment which participants
will share and discuss in Albuquerque.

To learn more about the workshop, please see the session
abstract<http://eco.confex.com/eco/2009/techprogram/S4520.HTM>, visit the
project
website<http://www.esa.org/education_diversity/neon/workshop/?q=node/38>
(includes agenda), or email jenni...@esa.org<mailto:jenni...@esa.org>.  You can
register online<http://www.esa.org/albuquerque/registrationinfo.php> today.

Jennifer Riem
Education Coordinator
Ecological Society of America
Department of Education and Diversity Programs
jenni...@esa.org<mailto:jenni...@esa.org>

tel 202-833-8773 x236
fax 202-833-8775

EcoEd Digital Library<http://www.ecoed.net/>
Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology (TIEE)<tiee.ecoed.net>