This is an interesting idea. I had students take photos in a local flora
class that I taught at University of Florida more than a decade ago and
just stuck them on a web page. It became a very popular site that has
morphed, shrunken and moved a few times but it still gets hits and you
could do a much more extensive site with what you are proposing. There
are a lot of sites like that now for plant ID classes.

Being a former Keeper of the Herbarium I can say that you should first
consult your local herbarium. The student collections gained in these
exercises are often used for trade amongst herbaria which allows
herbaria in far flung places to get specimens of taxa that they would
not otherwise have access to so there is a real incentive to have
specimens.

Most systematists don't routinely do identifications from photos but
that doesn't mean that they aren't useful. High quality, well documented
images are extremely useful to the public and thus you would have a good
resource developed that would have use beyond the class. The 45,000 that
we now have in the PLANTS database are heavily used and we are always
looking for more. Many other sites are too.

Finally, if you are going to go electronic, I'd suggest that another
option would be the use of electronic keys. I've found it a good
learning tool for students to document important characteristics with
both images and descriptions and several flora instructors who have
contacted me about the program that I wrote (SLIKS) have students
building simple interactive keys as a project in their local flora
classes.

Cheers,
Stinger

Gerald "Stinger" Guala, Ph.D.