Taking to heart the ad nauseum admonishments to think critically regarding this
issue, I put on my well worn critical thinking cap and, using skills from a
long ago recieved degree in toxicology, cursorily looked up the list of
insecticides used by the Alamosa mosquito abatement program.  It took exactly 3
clicks of the mouse.

Malathion, which is known by USEPA to have a strong mortality effect on bees,
is in fact used by the folks from the Alamosa district.  Permethrin/pyperonyl
butoxide mixtures, likewise, are used by the district and are also well
documented as toxic to bees.

As to whether or no there are "no mosquitos" or "no honeybees" in the area, I'm
not here to say.  As others have pointed out, that's something for the local
entomologists and toxicologists to ascertain, at some financial and temporal
expense.  But knowing what we know about malathion and permethrin/piperonyl
butoxide formulations, it would seem to me to be a supreme lack of critical
reasoning to 'assume' that the malathion in use in that district had no effect
on the target mosquito species (elsewise, as someone else snarkily pointed out,
what a waste of money it's been for all the mosquito districts in North America
to have used it for all these decades!! They should go down and get their money
back!!!) or the very well documented non target species, honeybees.

As for non target effects on grasshoppers, rhinoceri, or other non target
species, and whether mosquitos could be keystone species, I'll leave that up to
the rest of the audience.  I haven't the time.

But really, I reply mainly to point out that these effects are not unknown
quantities to the field of toxicology....they're pretty well documented, and
taught in introductory courses in that discipline.  To pooh-pooh the
possibility that reduction of honeybee numbers might have something to do with
pesticide use in this case seems, well, pretty silly, to say the least.

C Rosamond