To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 9:10 AM
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] technical writing: comma at thousand mark?

Recently, I have been "edited" to place a comma at the thousand mark in my technical reports.? It was my understanding and my preference for nearly 20 years that the comma in 1000/1,000 was optional, and preferred absent in technical writing.? What is the general feeling out there?

Also, I have been noticing more and more a comma added for a month-year designation: July, 2009.? I thought the comma was unnecessary.

I turn 40 this year.? Is this just the natural order of things that I become a writing curmudgeon? :-)

-Melissa