My research concerns human impacts on freshwater wetland ecosystems.  I
have worked with several protocols in the field, all of which included
indicators of ecosystem health such as presence/abundance of algae.

In particular, an abundance of filamentous algae is taken to indicate
unnatural nutrient loading and hence unnaturally anaerobic conditions.
But how much is too much? Is this a simple "field-crew friendly"
indicator, or will it be necessary to learn a lot more about algae before
using them as proxies for O2 depletion?  Are some algae more "unnatural"
than others?

I have noticed non-filamentous types of algae (growing on underwater rocks
or drying on shore) and wonder if they also indicate either nutrient
determine suitable algae habitat before assuming that their absence
indicates an absence of excess nutrients; some streams are just too
turbulent, while others may be too dark, to support algae.  Can anyone
briefly describe (or point me to a resource describing) the habitat and
functional importance of different freshwater algae?