Re: ESA policy statement on economic growth.

"The problem is not economic growth, per se, but the ways in which it is
implemented."

 However regrettable it may be, it may be necessary to say this, if for no
other reason than that the real core truth can only be reached, as a practical
matter, with such a statement as a means of helping the Big Exploiters save
face and lead them beside the still waters which they, too, must drink when
their RO system needs a filter change. Sometimes the art of such statements
consist of such. (I couldn't do it, but I'm glad someone can.)

WT

PS:

At the level of ecosystems, anthropogenic predation switched to exploitation at
The Dawn of Culture. It has been increasing for some ten or twelve thousand
years or so now, with the curve going toward exponential around 5,000 years or
so ago BCE. I have long made the distinction between predation and
exploitation, even to ecologists, but often without much effect. I think it is
crucial; many others do not--in fact, many believe there should be no
distinction at all or that they are synonymous.

As mere predators, we were social, cooperative. We feasted upon the fruit of
the land, and our population curves tracked those of our prey in the usual
offset fashion. With culture, with CULTIVATION, we started robbing Peter to pay
Paul. Rather than shifting ourselves to match the habitat, we started shifting
the habitat to match us--and our fantasies. Hence, Fantastic Homo sapiens, a
real cartoon character, self-writ. The fantasy has "gone critical," as they say
about nuclear reactors, but FHS has not adopted critical self-examination in a
sufficiently significant way. Sociopaths have "gone critical" in the sense that
they have completely lost the ability to be critical of themselves. We are all
infected with the sociopath "virus," with varying degrees of infection and
effects. As social animals, we are, by definition, asocial when we fail to
cooperate in terms of the welfare of our species rather than the individual,
and we see a false inconsistency when we think that individuals must be
sacrificed for the welfare of the group. "All for one and one for all" has
fallen into disfavor--"all for me" is the center of our present fantasy, with,
of course, the notable minority that still retains a significant social
impulse. It is this "meat" upon which "our Caesar feed[s]." The "Caesar's"
among and within us. The Caesar Virus.

Cultures (cultivators) require slaves. Some many must toil that others may
enjoy excess. Our social impulses are strong, however, and to the extent that
are able to overcome cultural authoritarian hierarchies, progress has been
made. Literal slavery has largely been abolished, yet obeisance to hierarchies
rather than the social structures that produces pulling together for the common
good have preserved the net effects through consumerism and other "sharing of
the spoils" of exploitation, aka, "economics."

Ecology is "house-understanding." Economics is "house-numbers." We presently
live in a mix shifted heavily toward the latter. We have long lived in such a
mix, and we are still struggling with this dichotomy. We SUBORDINATE
house-understanding to house-economics for short-term gain (exploitation) at
the expense of long-term sustainability. Ain't them big bubbles IMPRESSIVE
though? ###