Thanks to all involved in this debate! To Brian Czech and CASSE,
to ESA and others on ecolog-l. A very important discussion!

Thanks also to Heather Reynolds, who wrote this, which I agree seems
very much at the core of the issue:

> Eminent ecological economist Herman Daly observes (and I
> paraphrase here) that building the modern economy around the idea of
> growth is at least partly a ploy to avoid facing up to the problem
> of sharing. He notes: "If you don't continue to grow and you still
> have poverty, then you have to redistribute."

I think this fits in with the efforts of Brian and CASSE to clarify
that growth applies to any economy taken as a whole. Perhaps if
folks used the term "net growth" it might help to allow for growth in
some sectors as long as equal shrinkage or decrease in material
throughput occurred elsewhere to offset. Thus steady state
economy results for any economy as a whole.

It seems to me the "problem of sharing" as Heather notes is so
deep as to be perhaps subliminal or sub-consciously below the
level of normal discourse. To suggest an equal or perhaps greater
importance of sharing and cooperation could challenge not only
neoclassical economics, but also the mainstream of evolutionary
biology. These two now are mutually reinforcing in their value
of competition between individuals as the best (perhaps only?)
reliable or "objective" means to improvement in quality of life over
time, development that aids both the individual and the greater
good.

I think the ESA statement has some very powerful and profound
aspects, even though I agree it seems to stop just short of the
full subversion of the dominant cultural paradigm that is likely at
the root of our environmental problems. For example, phrases
like:

"Human wellbeing depends on numerous forms of wealth."

"Humanity as a whole will not necessarily be "richer.""

are powerful in suggesting a value system that applies to all
humanity as the appropriate scale for this debate. To me such
language is sign that the environmental and social globalization
movements are starting to catch up to the economic form of
globalization. I also think this planetary scale for discourse and
value judgements fits with the original CASSE ideas that we
admit that the era and emphasis on growth should end - net
growth, at the planetary scale, as function of population times
resource use. For this to happen, if developing nations are to
grow in materials use, we in the U.S. will have to do with less.
Seems fair to me. Especially as part of a new story or cultural
paradigm in which cooperation and mutualism are elevated to
higher standards as key organizing principles in both life and
economics.

Thanks again,

Dan

--