Jim (and a few others),
Thanks for the further thoughts on this.  My biggest issue is that we are
talking about reducing consumption in dozens of areas in our lives (which
I agree with!).  But I can't ignore that all of those are fractions that
do not bring our impact anywhere near to zero.  I understand that the most
wealthy countries tend to have low growth rates, some are even below
replacement.  But one person in a wealthy country consumes many times the
resources of a person in a poor country (1 American = 2 Japanese = 13
Chinese = 128 Bangladeshis = 370 Ethiopians [from mindfully.org]).  I make
real efforts to reduce my impact but I do not believe that it is 1/13th of
the average American's rate, much less 1/370th.  Then I think "Wow.  And
the poor want to be like the wealthy."  And who can blame them with those
conversions?!  Reproduction is the only thing mentioned that isn't
fractional change but binary.  I think that it is obvious, too, but that
has not been my experience with the issue.  I brought it up in a graduate
conservation biology class co-taught by two reasonable professors.  It was
received with denial - one said it wasn't an issue - and hostility - the
second said that he didn't see me "giving up my spot".  And that was it
for the discussion of the human population growth in that group.  We moved
right along to recycling and buying locally-grown produce.

I'm a 42 year old returning student who has worked professionally as a
biologist for a number of Federal agencies all over the country.  My
experience is that those professors are not anomalies among the
environmentally educated.  So...obvious as it is, I see it as the elephant
in the room.

That is my two cents (which is normally discounted to of 1.5 cents among
those who know me well).  ;-)

Sincerely,
Chris