GRADUATE STUDIES IN ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION AT EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY

The Department of Biology at East Carolina University, the third largest campus
in the North Carolina System, invites inquiries and applications from
prospective graduate students for Fall 2010. We have an active and
well-supported group of faculty in Ecology and Evolution and will guarantee
accepted PhD students (in IDPBS, the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Program in
Biological Sciences) at least two years of support with no teaching obligations
and at least five years of support total, at a very competitive level. We also
offer two MS programs (TA-ships readily available) and have students in ECU's
Coastal Resources Management PhD program. Graduate students will be encouraged
to participate in the newly formed North Carolina Center for Biodiversity
(NCCB) at East Carolina University.  Goals of the NCCB include training
graduate students in biodiversity research and providing them opportunities to
participate in related outreach.

Situated in the attractive and affordable community of Greenville, we are in
easy reach of North Carolina's Research Triangle (including the National
Evolutionary Synthesis Center), several marine institutes and laboratories, and
the diverse natural communities of the Coastal Plain and Outer Banks. Thus
excellent opportunities exist for collaboration and to work in terrestrial,
aquatic, wetland and marine systems. A readily available 454 sequencer at ECU's
Brody School of Medicine facilitates genomic research. Travel is convenient
through either Pitt-Greenville or Raleigh-Durham International Airport and our
faculty members are engaged in research on every continent but Antarctica.

Please visit http://www.ecu.edu/biology/ to find out more about our department.
Information on our graduate programs is available here:
http://www.ecu.edu/biology/graduate.cfm

Our Evolution and Ecology faculty (http://www.ecu.edu/biology/faculty.cfm)
include:
Jason Bond: Arthropod systematics.
Mark Brinson: Wetland restoration ecology, ecosystem ecology.
David Chalcraft: Population and community ecology; ecological aspects of
biodiversity.
Robert Christian: Systems and network theory; ecology of coastal ecosystems.
Lisa Clough: Marine benthic ecology (Arctic and Atlantic).
Carol Goodwillie: Plant mating system evolution.
Jinling Huang: Evolutionary genomics, bioinformatics; horizontal gene transfer.
Claudia Jolls: Plant evolutionary ecology and conservation.
Dave Kimmel: Plankton ecology.
Trip Lamb: Systematics and phylogeography.
Joe Luczkovich: Food web ecology and fish bioacoustics.
Jeff McKinnon: Sexual selection, speciation, mainly in fish.
Sue McRae: Behavioral ecology and social evolution in birds.
Anthony Overton: Larval fish ecology, fisheries biology.
Enrique Reyes: Landscape ecology, ecological modeling, coastal management.
Roger Rulifson: Fish ecology and fisheries.
Jean-Luc Scemama: Post-duplication gene evolution.
Matt Schrenk: Microbial ecology, geo-microbiology.
Ed Stellwag: Vertebrate evo-devo and cis-regulatory network evolution.
John Stiller: Molecular evolution and comparative genomics.
Kyle Summers: Evolution of color, behavior in poison frogs; evolutionary
medicine.
Heather Vance-Chalcraft: Predation and community ecology.
Terry West:  Human impacts on coastal ecosystems.
Baohong Zhang: MicroRNA evolution, comparative genomics, and molecular genetics.

In addition to visiting the websites, please contact prospective mentors
directly for more information, or graduate studies director Terry West:
we...@ecu.edu