Michael -- I was taught that rivers are like counties in that they are
capitalized when in the singular, but not capitalized in the plural.  For
example, Lyon County, but Lyon and Chase counties.  Likewise, it is the
Missouri River, but Missouri and Mississippi rivers.  mas tarde, EJF

Michael Cooperman <michael.cooper...@noaa.gov>
Sent by: "Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news"
<ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
09/30/2009 01:27 PM
Please respond to
Michael Cooperman <michael.cooper...@noaa.gov>

ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
cc

Subject
[ECOLOG-L] to Capitalize or not to capitalize

In the following statement:  ....the Narraguagus and Penobscot
rivers....should the word "rivers" be capitalized? I have my opinion,
but in the spirit of not biasing responses I'll keep it to myself; my
office as a whole is split 50/50. One way or the other, half the people
in my office are wrong!

Michael

Michael Cooperman, PhD
National Research Council - Research Fellow
in residence at NOAA-Fisheries, NE Fisheries Science Center - Maine Field
Station
Atlantic Salmon Research and Conservation Task
17 Godfrey DR., Suite 1
Orono, ME 04473

(work)  207-866-7409
(cell)  207-974-9846
(fax)   207-866-7342 (pls call before faxing)
email:  michael.cooper...@noaa.gov