Research Internships in Plant Ecology, beginning January 2010

Ideal for Students with Undergraduate Degrees Contemplating Graduate School

Includes independent research project.

Provides Stipend, Room, and Board.

Internships at Archbold Biological Station in south-central Florida.

Research in the plant ecology laboratory of Eric Menges emphasizes

conservation biology, plant demography, restoration ecology,

fire ecology, landscape ecology, and fire management. We

study many species of endemic vascular plants in endangered Florida

scrub and related communities. Active fire management provides

outstanding opportunities for short-term comparative studies in fire

ecology. Our long-term (22-year) datasets on dozens of scrub plants

gives context to short-term, focused, field projects.

Interns receive room, board, and a weekly stipend of $100. They work

hours per week as research assistants and the remainder on an

independent research project. Internships generally run for 6-12 months

but are flexible in their starting dates and durations. Internships

offer an opportunity for experience in every aspect of scientific

research, from project choice and experimental design to oral and

written presentations.

Archbold Biological Station is active in research, conservation, and

education. Our facilities include a 5000 ha preserve, an outstanding

regional library and a GIS lab running ARCINFO. We have a staff of about

50 with many visiting scientists, an active seminar program, and a

relaxed biological station atmosphere.

To apply for an internship in the plant ecology lab, email or mail:

letter stating research interests, a resume or cv, a summary of grades,

and have two letters of recommendation emailed or mailed to:

Dr. Eric S. Menges

Archbold Biological Station, P.O. Box 2057,=20

Lake Placid, Florida 33862 USA

Phone: 863-465-2571   FAX: 863-699-1927

Email: emen...@archbold-station.org

Dr. Eric S. Menges
Senior Research Biologist
Archbold Biological Station    Packages: 123 Main Dr.
PO Box 2057                                        Venus, FL 33960
Lake Placid, FL 33862
phone: 863-465-2571 ext. 234

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/