Dear Tyler,

Since Hubbell's book, there have been so many papers on neutral theory
that, I agree, it looks quite challenging to select just one. Instead I
have prepared a doable short list for a reading group for a semester.

What is challenging for me it is not to select a short list of basic
contributions, but perhaps not to be biased. I will try it, but if some
of you think that fundamental contributions are missing, go ahead...
this is what Ecolog list is for!

I will try to simplify quite a bit in order to come up with a rather
short reading list. For instance,  I am going to skip old papers that
also implemented neutral approaches before Hubbells' book. However, I
honestly think that you cannot skip Hubbell's book, at least, the
following three chapters:

(1) Chapter 1 on the fundamentals of the theory and how it extends
MacArthur and Wilson's theory.
(2) Chapter 2 on previous theories trying to explain why abundance is so
unevenly ditributed across species in any given community and in which
sense neutral theory differs from them.
(3) Chapter 10 on which Hubbell advances the main criticisms of neutral
theory and suggests that his book "is only a beginning" and that "There
are many theoretical and empirical paths to explore..."

These chapters are beautifully written and still serve as the best
introduction to Hubbell's neutral theory. Then I would recommend to
go on with two general reviews:

(4) J. Chave (2004) Neutral theory and community ecology. Ecology
Letters. 7: 241-253
(5) D. Alonso, R. S. Etienne, and A. J. McKane (2006). The merits of
neutral theory. TREE:

The five readings above make up a nice and smooth introduction to
Neutral theory. Then I would divide papers in two subgroups:
theoretical developments and empirical evaluation.

A. Theoretical developments.
Further developments on neutral theory since Hubbell's book can be
summarized in 5 stepping stones:

1. The emphasis on the sampling nature of the theory, the connection to
previous sampling theories in ecology, and Etienne sampling formula.

(6) D. Alonso and A. J. McKane (2004). Sampling Hubbell's Neutral Theory
of Biodiversity. Ecology Letters, 7: 901-906.
(7) R. S. Etienne and D. Alonso (2005). A dispersal-limited sampling
theory for species and alleles. Ecology Letters, 8: 1147-1156.

2. The spatially implicit model and the stochastic master equation
description for community dynamics, in particular, the species
independence assumption developed by Volkov and collaborators and the
stochastic patch occupancy approach developed by Kadmon and Allouche.
Key sample papers about that are:

(8) I. Volkov, J. Banavar, S. Hubbell and A. Maritan 2009.
Infering species interactions in tropical forests. PNAS 106(33):
13854-13859.

(9) R. Kadmon and O. Allouche (2009) Demographic analysis of Hubbell's
neutral theory of biodiversity. Journal of Theoretical Biology 258(2):
274-280.

Again, if you read these latest ones, you will be rather up to
date. From the reference list there, you can always go back to the
oldest ones where the seminal ideas were presented.

3. Spatially explicit dynamics on an infinite area based on
coalescence developed by Rosindell and Cornell, which
allows for detailed predictions for species-area relations.

(10) J. Rosindell and S. J. Cornell (2009) Species ares curves,
neutral models and long-distance dispersal. Ecology 90(7): 1743-1750

4. The size-structured neutral approach develped by O'Dwyer
and collaborators:

(11) J. P. O'Dwyer, J. K. Lake, A. Ostling, V. M. Savage, and J. L.
Green. (2009) An integrative framework for stochastic, size-structured
community assembly. PNAS 106: 6170-6175.

5. Metacommunity assembly and new neutral speciation models.
Arguably the point mutation mode for speciation was one of
the weekest points of neutral theory. This generated clearly
unrealistic predictions. New work has been done to overcome
those. Most of this work has been done by Rosindell, Etienne,
Melian, and others. These papers are still under review. By the time
you reach this point, some of this work will be hopefully
generally available.

B. Testing Neutral Theory.
Hundreds and hundreds of papers have been written to evaluate
both conceptually and empirically neutral theory, but if I had
to chose just a few I would go for Brian McGill's papers, who
was actually a pioneer in testing neutral theory. The
sample I have chosen reviews all previous empirical
evaluations and establishes criteria for robust evaluations.

(12) B. McGill (2006) Empirical evaluation of neutral theory.
Ecology 87(6): 1411-1423

I think you can organized these papers nicely in 10 reading
sessions:

1. The philosophy of the theory: (1)+(2)
2. General reviews: (4)+(5)
3. Theoretical developments I: (6)+(7)
4. Theoretical developments II. On the species independence assumption.
(8)
5. Theoretical developments III. On the stochastic patch occupancy
approach. (9)
6. Theoretical developments IV. On the spatially explicity approach (10)
7. Theoretical developments V. On the size-structured approach. (11)
8. Theoretical developments VI. On speciation dynamics under neutrality
(to appear)
9. Testing neutral theory (12).
10. The last session on Chapter 10 in Hubbell's book would serve to
recap and discuss back again basic assumptions, criticisms and
possibilities for further extensions. (3)

If you follow this list one session every other week, you will become a
neutral theory expert in a semester.

David.
--
David Alonso
Community and Conservation Ecology Group