I am recruiting postdoctoral fellows and graduate students to join my
research group at the University of California Berkeley. Details about the
positions are listed below. Projects in the lab are broadly focused on
community ecology, with an emphasis on biodiversity, plant invasions,
environmental change, and restoration. We work in grassland, coastal sage
scrub, oak savanna, and rangeland systems in California, as well as in
alpine tundra in Colorado. Please see
http://nature.berkeley.edu/sudinglab/ for more information about our
group, current projects, and collaborations.

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN COMMUNITY ECOLOGY, PLANT-SOIL INTERACTIONS

Postdoctoral positions in community ecology are available in the research
group of Katharine Suding at the University of California, Berkeley. The
successful candidate will be part of a NSF funded project to explore how
soil-plant feedbacks may contribute to plant diversity decline with
nitrogen enrichment. We are excited to work with someone with strong
quantitative skills, expertise in biogeochemistry, microbial ecology,
and/or community ecology, and the willingness to conduct fieldwork in the
Colorado alpine tundra. Abilities in field experimental work and
organizing research teams are also highly desirable. The position will
begin as soon as a qualified candidate is found and is available for at
least one year with possibilities for extension up to three years. Salary
will be commensurate with experience.
Review of candidates will begin November 30, 2008. To apply, email a
research statement including a curriculum vitae, relevant publications,
and names of two references to sud...@berkeley.edu. Please don’t hesitate
to contact me if you have any questions or want more information about
this position.

GRADUATE STUDENT POSITIONS: PLANT-SOIL INTERACTIONS and SPECIES INVASIONS

We are looking for highly enthusiastic and exceptional PhD students to
join our group. Funding for these positions are related to projects
examining 1) links between microbial community structure and plant
community response to environmental change and 2) restoration frameworks
addressing exotic plant legacies and threshold dynamics. The exact
projects will be developed collaboratively based on student interests and
project needs.  If you are interesting in joining the lab, email me a
description of your research interests, a curriculum vitae (including GPA
and GRE scores), and names of two references to sud...@berkeley.edu. If
encouraged to apply, initial applications are due December 1st, with
supporting documentation December 20th. Information on the ESPM graduate
program at UCB can be found at
http://espm.berkeley.edu/gradprograms/grad_programs_phd.php.

The University of California, Berkeley is an equal opportunity employer
committed to excellence through diversity.