You definitely can create a list on facebook and send email just to that
list (Go to Compose email and it will say "type the name of a friend, list
or email address." I have created lists but not to the extent I probably
could/should. As a writer I really enjoy facebook for its various social
networking purposes. I have writing colleagues, friends, scientist
colleagues (many of which I "meet" online when they're sources for a story
of mine). I post links to my Animal Planet blogs and articles, and keep
abreast of what others are writing about or doing scientifically, which
helps me get ideas to write about.

Twitter is useful for me to get story ideas (what animal related stories are
"in the news" which is what the Animal Planet blog covers) or for trying to
promote something... (for me it's my writing) or if you want to search for
something "in real time" it's absolutely irreplaceable (such as the info it
provided during the Iran election, or less crucial perhaps but fascinating
nonetheless, the TX State Board of Education hearings about evolution ed).
People tweet through scientific meetings, and such. No doubt people will be
tweeting from Copenhagen. You get a totally different perspective (more like
the one you might get by being there) than you'd get from a news article, or
even a blog. You capture more of the little snippets of conversation, where
sometimes the real "stuff" of interest lies.

And there are a lot of fan pages and groups that have their own discussions.
I haven't gotten much into that aspect of Facebook but know it's there.

And on another note if anyone's interested in my online writing class (it
teaches the ropes of how to write for general interest magazines, and is
geared towards science/environment issues) I have one starting Dec 12th... a
good thing to do over the holidays!! :)

Wendee - bohem...@wendeeholtcamp.com
     Wendee Holtcamp, M.S. Wildlife Ecology ~ @bohemianone
    Freelance Writer * Photographer * Bohemian
          http://www.wendeeholtcamp.com
     http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com
~~6-wk Online Writing Course Starts Dec 12, 2009 (signup by Dec 5)~~
I’m Animal Planet’s news blogger - http://blogs.discovery.com/animal_news