The Summer Soil Institute

http://soilinstitute.nrel.colostate.edu

Addressing Environmental Challenges  with Current and Emerging Techniques

What: A summer course for graduate students, professionals, faculty, and
K-12 teachers.
When:  July 12-24, 2010
Where:  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA

The summer soil institute provides a unique opportunity to gain a
fundamental and applied understanding of soil biology, chemistry, and
physics with world-renowned faculty. Students will gain hands-on experience
with lab and field techniques and will gain an enhanced appreciation for the
importance of managing our soil resources sustainably. The course will be
limited to a maximum of 25 students. Applications will be reviewed starting
March 12.

Registration fees are $2200, which includes lodging and meals. A reduced fee
of $1500 is available for local students that do not need accommodations. A
limited number of scholarships are available to meritorious applicants in
need.

Location:
The course will be based on the campus of Colorado State University (CSU),
which is nestled against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains on the western
edge of the Great Plains. We will take advantage of the high diversity of
soils within a short drive with field trips to the Fraser experimental
forest and the Shortgrass Steppe Long‐Term Ecological Research Site. The
institute will culminate with student presentations and a banquet at Pingree
Park, where students will be able to enjoy the mountain landscape just north
of Rocky Mountain National Park.

Accomodations:
On‐campus housing and meals will be available at the state‐of‐the‐art
Academic Village at Colorado State University. The green Academic Village
opened in 2008 and was built to high standards of sustainability.

Instructors:
Thomas Borch: Environmental Soil Chemistry
Richard Conant: Soil Biogeochemistry
M. Francesca Cotrufo: Soil Organic Matter and Stable Isotope Applications
Eugene Kelly: Pedology and Geochemistry
John Moore: Soil Ecology, Food Web Modeling
Mary Stromberger: Soil Microbiology
Diana Wall: Soil Sustainability, Soil Fauna
Matthew Wallenstein: Soil Microbial Ecology and Molecular Techniques

Funding for the institute is provided by the USDA AFRI program.

For more information and to apply, please visit our website:
Web: http://soilinstitute.nrel.colostate.edu/

Email: s...@nrel.colostate.edu