From: Meredith Gore [mailto:go...@msu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:32 AM
To: Laura Goldin; Jim Schneider; 'Joseph Bump'; John Vucetich; Tara Teel;
m...@cornell.edu
Subject: Madagascar Study Abroad 2010

Please distribute widely:

Paradise in Peril? Exploring Madagascar's Biodiversity Crisis
Study Abroad in Madagascar
May 5-June 10, 2010

Madagascar is home to an astonishing eight plant, four bird, and five
primate families that live nowhere else on Earth. Until recently,
Malagasy people (comprised of 17 different ethnic groups) had limited
land tenure rights and little support for alternative livelihoods.
Madagascar is faced with balancing the delicate relationship between
human development and environmental protection. This has had devastating
consequences for both the country's natural environment and people's
standard of living.

This study abroad program examines the nexus of biodiversity
conservation and livelihood preservation on the world's 4th largest
island, Madagascar. We will visit multiple terrestrial and marine
protected areas in diverse habitat types (e.g., tropical humid forest,
deciduous dry forest, coastal and marine habitats, mangroves, coral
reefs) to better understand the evolution and sustainability of natural
resource governance in Madagascar. We will see first-hand and discuss
both the challenges associated with managing and enforcing protected
areas (e.g., illegal logging, lemur or tortoise poaching) and the
opportunities (e.g., carbon banking, ecotourism, community policing).
Students will learn about how Malagasy people react to and think about
environmental enforcement and environmental degradation. Guest speakers
will discuss voluntary and mandatory compliance interventions designed
to foster co-conservation of culture and natural resources, educational
and technological innovation interventions, and captive breeding
programs for Madagascar's endemic endangered species. Students will
directly interact with conservation practitioners, enforcement
officials, biologists, and local people to experientially learn about
Malagasy culture and natural resources.

The program begins in the hilly and densely populated French-speaking
capital city of Antananarivo and proceeds over land by private coach to
the rural and agricultural central highlands and forested eastern coast.
We'll travel by commercial air to the lowland coastal tropical forest
and by private boat to a marine protected area. Students will
familiarize themselves with Malagasy flora and fauna, interact with
government, non-governmental, enforcement, scientific, and community
managers, and will participate in hands-on learning including guided day
and night hikes, snorkeling, and community-based natural resource
management and enforcement.

Check out photos from previous programs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43080...@n05/3970874770/
Become a fan on Facebook (MSU Madagascar Study Abroad)
To apply visit MSU's Office of Study Abroad: http://studyabroad.msu.edu/

Questions:
Dr. Meredith Gore
517-432-8203 or go...@msu.edu

--
Meredith L. Gore, PhD
Assistant Professor
Michigan State University
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
School of Criminal Justice
13 Natural Resources Building
East Lansing, MI 48824
p: 517.432.8203
f: 517.432.1699
http://www.fw.msu.edu/~gorem/
www.conservationcriminology.msu.edu
Research Technician
Center for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Posting: 9329
Location: Eugene
Closes: Open Until Filled

The Center for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Oregon has an opening for a research technician in biogeochemistry/microbial ecology to work with Drs. Scott Bridgham, Qusheng Jin, and Brendan Bohannan. The individual hired for this position will work on two projects that are examining underlying mechanisms that explain the large observed variation in rates of anaerobic carbon cycling and efficiency of methane production in wetland soils and lake sediments.

M.S. in appropriate field or B.S. with the equivalent of a M.S. in experience is required. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in biogeochemistry and/or in molecular microbiology. Review of applications will begin on Jan. 6, 2010 with the position open until filled. To receive full consideration, applications should be received by that date. Salary is dependent upon experience. The University offers a comprehensive and largely employer-paid benefits package including medical insurance and retirement.

Please mail a cover letter with a current CV and contact information for three references to Center for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Posting #9329, 5289 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-5289 or via e-mail to ceebj...@uoregon.edu. Questions about this position can be addressed to Scott Bridgham at bridg...@uoregon.edu.

The University of Oregon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. We invite applications from qualified candidates who share our commitment to diversity. http://hr.uoregon.edu/jobs/unclassified.php?id=2849
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Center for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Posting: 9328
Location: Eugene
Closes: Open Until Filled

The Center for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Oregon has an opening for a postdoctoral researcher in biogeochemistry/microbial ecology to work with Drs. Scott Bridgham, Qusheng Jin, and Brendan Bohannan. The individual hired for this position will work on two projects that are examining underlying mechanisms that explain the large observed variation in rates of anaerobic carbon cycling and efficiency of methane production in wetland soils and lake sediments.

Ph.D. in appropriate field is required. Preference will be given to candidates with experience primarily in anaerobic biogeochemistry and secondarily in molecular microbiology. Review of applications will begin on Jan. 8, 2010 with the position open until filled. To receive full consideration applications should be received by that date. Salary is dependent upon experience. The University offers a comprehensive and largely employer-paid benefits package including medical insurance and retirement.

Please mail a cover letter with a current CV and contact information for three references to Center for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Posting #9328, 5289 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-5289 or via e-mail to ceebj...@uoregon.edu. Questions about this position can be addressed to Scott Bridgham at bridg...@uoregon.edu.

The University of Oregon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. We invite applications from qualified candidates who share our commitment to diversity. http://hr.uoregon.edu/jobs/unclassified.php?id=2848
Subject: Stream fish mark-recapture intern, Trinidad

We’re looking for a field intern to assist in our mark-recapture studies
associated with a NSF-funded study of eco-evolutionary interactions in
streams.  The intern will collect and process fish and help set up and
maintain experiments. Position will be located in Trinidad, West Indies,
and run from mid-Jan to mid-Apr 2010. Applications will be accepted until
the position is filled.

Our team is assessing the individual and population response of a native
killifish, Rivulus hartii, to the introduction of guppies, Poecilia
reticulata, in four streams. Broader goals of project summarized at
http://guppypool.umaine-biology.net/guppyFIBR.html.

Rivulus is a fascinating study animal, but applicants should be aware that
this job is physically and mentally challenging. Our field work requires
hiking on rough trails and streambeds in a tropical (e.g., hot, buggy,
snakey) forest, usually at night, often with loads of 30 lbs or so. Fish
processing demands precise work and attention to detail. We usually work 6
days a week.

LOCATION: The Northern Range of Trinidad, about five miles up the hill
from the town of Arima. We stay at a guest house that has some
conveniences (electricity, refrigeration) but not others (Internet,
screened windows). We cook our own meals.

DATES: Position will run from mid-Jan to mid-Apr 2010, with some flexibility.

SALARY: Housing and food in Trinidad, plus $500 US per month stipend.
Airfare to Trinidad from North America (or comparable) also provided.

QUALIFICATIONS: This opportunity is ideal for a recent graduate who is
considering graduate school in ecology or evolutionary biology. Strong
interest in fish or stream ecology and experience with mark-recapture
(especially marking fish with fluorescent elastomer) preferred.  Ability
to work in tough conditions and retain a sense of humor required.

APPLICATION: Send a (1) one-page cover letter summarizing your goals, your
qualifications, and how this internship fits with them, (2) CV, (3)
unofficial transcript­spreadsheet of classes and grades is fine, and (4)
names, emails, and phone numbers for three references to Brad Lamphere at
balamphe AT ncsu DOT edu.
Participants at the annual symposium sponsored by the Arthropod Genomics
Center at Kansas State University formed the Arthropod Genomics Consortium
to increase collaboration and information exchange among the community of
scientists performing genomic studies on arthropods. We are developing a
wiki, at http://arthropodgenomes.org <http://arthropodgenomes.org/> , to
help the community self-assemble. Our goal is to provide a central location
for information about arthropod genomics projects, bioinformatics tools, and
people interested in arthropod genomics.  We think this is a great way to
"identify the community"; information from the wiki can be used to support
white papers and grant proposals. It will also serve as a central location
for links to arthropod genomics resources, news releases and meeting
announcements.

We have constructed the initial wiki pages, which include templates for
entering your information. Please take a moment to visit the wiki,
http://arthropodgenomes.org <http://arthropodgenomes.org/> , register and
enter information about yourself and the organism or problems you study.
Even if you don't work directly on a genome project, we would like to know
how you would benefit from genome level knowledge. If you do work on a
genome project, please list the genomic resources that currently exist for
your organism(s) and what resources are needed or planned.  Please encourage
your colleagues to participate.

To organize such a large area, we have set up four main working groups based
on research interest:  1) plant pests and beneficials, 2) vectors of
disease, 3) Evo/Devo, and 4) EcoGen/PopGen.  Your interests or research
organism may fall into multiple categories. If so, you can list more than
one.

Thanks for your participation!

Sue Brown, Director

K-State Arthropod Genomics Center

for the Arthropod Genomics Consortium

by

Doris R. Merrill, dmerr...@k-state.edu

Program Coordinator

Arthropod Genomics Center, www.k-state.edu/agc

Kansas State University, Division of Biology, 318 Ackert

Manhattan, KS  66506-4901

Phone: (785) 532-3482, Fax: (785) 532-6653

Plan to attend the 4th Annual

Arthropod Genomics Symposium

June 10 to 13, 2010, in Kansas City!

Details are available at  <http://www.ksu.edu/agc> www.ksu.edu/agc

Tropical Ecology Assessment and Monitoring Network (TEAM)
Botanist/Plant Ecologist for Suriname Site

The Tropical Ecology Assessment and Monitoring (TEAM) Network is looking for a
Tropical
Botanist/Plant Ecologist consultant with expertise on the flora of the Guiana
Shield (particularly
trees), strong interest in monitoring of tropical forests, a broad interest in
tropical plant
ecology/botany, and a commitment to creating a global public data resource on
tropical forest
ecosystems. The TEAM Botanist/Plant Ecologist would be responsible for the
technical
implementation of the TEAM Vegetation Protocol at our monitoring site in
Central Suriname
Nature Reserve (CSNR), Suriname, following TEAM’s standardized protocol
implementation manual
(http://www.teamnetwork.org/en/protocols/bio/vegetation). Work expected
includes the setup of
six 1-ha plots, training of technical personnel, data collection, data
management and data upload
to the TEAM portal within a specified period of time. The TEAM Botanist/Plant
Ecologist is
expected to travel to Suriname between March-April 2010 and complete the setup
of six 1-ha
plots no later than June 30, 2010. He/She is expected to travel again in
August-September 2010
to carry out the first census of these plots. The TEAM Botanist/Plant Ecologist
should have a
professionally vested interest in long-term research in the tropics and is
essentially the person
responsible for the scientific quality of the data collected under his/her
supervision and whose
name will appear on every record of data collected for this particular protocol
at the site. The
TEAM Botanist/Plant Ecologist must work in close coordination with the TEAM
Site Manager in
Suriname and TEAM Technical Director to ensure data is collected according to
TEAM schedule and
with the highest scientific standards outlined in the TEAM protocol. The
position will be hired as a
consultant by Conservation International-Suriname and will include
transportation to Suriname,
field expenses and a modest compensation. We envision this position to be a
multi-year contract
with annual trips to Suriname for 2-4 months during the dry season
(August-November) for plot
re-census work and data reporting.

Qualifications

M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Biology, Ecology, Botany, Environmental Sciences or related
field.

A minimum of 3 years of experience working in the field measuring and
identifying trees in
vegetation plots, familiarity with Guiana Shield/Amazonian flora and taxonomic
expertise
collecting and identifying plant specimens from these regions.

Vested interest in long-term research in tropical forests and a publication
record that reflects it.

Willingness to spend extended periods in remote field sites under harsh field
conditions.

Ability and experience managing, training and coordinating  field technicians
who will aid in the
data collection

Proven ability to work successfully with a broad range of people from different
cultural and
educational backgrounds.

Willingness to assume the responsibilities associated with timely collection
and reporting of data
as part of regular TEAM network activities.  Commitment to making all data
collected immediately
publically available, in accordance with the TEAM Data Use Agreement.

Please send Cover letter, CV and names/addresses of three references to Jorge
A. Ahumada
(j.ahum...@conservation.org) no later than February 15, 2010.

TEAM’s mission is to generate real time data for monitoring long-term trends in
tropical
biodiversity and ecosystem services through a global network of field stations,
providing an early
warning system on the status of biodiversity to effectively guide conservation
action. For more
information about TEAM please visit http://www.teamnetwork.org.
Harvard Forest offers an exciting program for up to 30 undergraduate
students from institutions across the country to collaborate with
scientists conducting ecological research for 12 weeks during the summer
of 2010.
Program Description: Each student will participate in an on going study
with senior researchers from Harvard University, Marine Biological Lab-
Ecosystems Center, University of New Hampshire, University of
Massachusetts and other collaborators.  Responsibilities generally include
field and laboratory studies, data analysis and scientific writing. In
addition, students attend weekly seminars given by nationally known
scientists about their research and workshops on ethics and career and
graduate school planning.  At the end of the summer, students will develop
their research results and present their findings at a student research
symposium.
Research Projects: Harvard Forest research focuses on the dynamics of
forest ecosystems and their response to natural and human disturbances.
Researchers come from many disciplines and specific projects center on
population and community ecology, paleoecology, land-use history, aquatic
ecology, biogeochemistry, ecophysiology, and atmosphere-biosphere
exchanges.  Projects in summer 2010 will focus on:
Invasive Plants, Pests & Pathogens
Plant Biology, Population and Community Ecology
Large Ecosystem Experiments and Permanent Plot Studies
Conservation Biology and Biodiversity
Forest Ecosystem Response to Global Change
Soil Carbon and Nitrogen Dynamics
Reading and Conserving the New England Landscape
Compensation: Students are paid a stipend of $5520 for the 12 week session
which runs from May 24 through August 13, 2010. Excellent on-site housing
and a full meal plan are included as part of the program.  Assistance with
travel costs to and from Harvard Forest is also provided.
Who Should Apply: We seek a diverse group of students from a variety of
undergraduate programs across the country.  Students should have a
demonstrated interest in ecology but are not required to have previous
field/lab experience and there is no minimum GPA required.  We accept
students from all class years, and are particularly interested in
recruiting students from community colleges, small teaching schools as
well as larger research institutions.
To Apply: Visit
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/education/reu/reu.html for our on-
line application.
Applications are due February 5, 2010.
HARVARD FOREST – HARVARD UNIVERSITY
PETERSHAM, MASSACHUSETTS

SUMMER 2010 RESEARCH PROGRAM IN ECOLOGY

ASSISTANT PROGRAM COORDINATOR/
RESIDENT ADVISOR
(14-week position available beginning May 17, 2010)

For fourteen weeks in May-August 2010, twenty college-age students will
join dozens of visiting and staff scientists at Harvard Forest in
researching the effects of natural and human disturbances on forest
ecosystems.  The Program Assistant works closely with the Forest
Administrator in organizing the various educational components to the
summer program.  S/he lives with the students in Fisher and/or Raup House,
providing the information, advising, support and discipline required to
create a hospitable academic environment.

Duties and Responsibilities
Assist with two-day student orientation, May 24-25
Coordinate weekly evening workshops and seminars
Hold weekly house meetings
Organize student committees (recycling, graduate school, social, etc.)
Inform students of Harvard Forest activities, policies, and expectations
Organize a day-long career workshop and Summer Student Symposium in mid-
August
Work with Forest Administrator to resolve student issues
Work on various tasks as needed to facilitate administrative and research
projects

Required Skills, Training and Experience
Excellent listening, negotiation, organizational, and problem solving
skills required
Strong writing, organizational, telephone, and computer skills
Work independently with moderate supervision
Comfortable with performing a variety of tasks simultaneously
Previous experience working with ethnically and culturally diverse
population preferred

Time Commitment and Compensation
Compensation is $12.50/hour for 40 hours per week plus free room and board
for 14 weeks (May 17 to August 20, 2010).  The Assistant has a private
room, office space with computer and access to Forest vehicles.  The
position is flexible and accommodations for a variety of situations are
possible.

Application
Please send a cover letter, resume and up to three letters of
recommendation via email or USPS mail to the address below. Applications
will be accepted until the position is filled. Additional information
about Harvard Forest and the summer program is available at
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu
For questions, please contact:

Edythe Ellin, Director of Administration        Telephone       (978) 724-
3302
Harvard Forest  Fax             (978) 724-3595
        324 N. Main Street      Email   hfa...@fas.harvard.edu
        Petersham, MA  01366    Website
        harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu

The Regan Lab at the University of California Riverside has an opening for a PhD student with interests in Quantitative Conservation Ecology, Ecological Modeling and Decision Making. Active areas of research in the Regan lab include population viability analysis of plants under habitat fragmentation, altered fire regimes and climate change, and decision making under uncertainty for conservation. We are particularly interested in students who wish to work on projects linking ecological and fire models with formal decision making models to address population, habitat and community objectives in fire management and land-use plans. We use computational, mathematical, and advanced statistical methods in much of our work, so students with an interest in these kinds of methods are encouraged to apply. While a background in these quantitative techniques is desirable it is not absolutely necessary, however an interest in learning and applying them is essential. While students interested in one of the general areas listed above are preferred, students are encouraged to develop their own research projects depending upon their interests. Graduate students in the Regan lab are funded through a combination of research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and fellowships. The Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology Graduate Program at the University of California Riverside has a diverse faculty and supports many graduate students in departments across campus. For further details about the graduate program please consult <http://www.biology.ucr.edu/academic_programs/index.html>http://www.biology.ucr.edu/academic_programs/index.html

Interested students can find more information about the lab at our website:
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Regan.html

If you are still interested after checking out the website you should contact me directly at helen.re...@ucr.edu. Please send a CV, GPA, GRE scores (if available), and a brief description of your general research interests.

DEADLINE: While full consideration is given to formal applications submitted by January 5th, 2009, applications submitted after this date will also be considered for funding.

Dr. Helen Regan.
Email: helen.re...@ucr.edu

Dr Helen Regan
Biology Department
University of California Riverside
900 University Ave
Riverside, CA 92521
Phone:951-827-3961
Office: Speith 3358
Webpage: http://biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Regan.html
The Applied Plant Ecology Lab at the National University of Singapore is
interested in questions of reproduction, gene flow, and spatial genetic
structure in fragmented plant populations of South and Southeast Asia. Funding
is available for an 18-24 month post-doc to execute field work and lab work to
test hypotheses about the impacts of fragmentation on plant genetic diversity.
Study species and study sites will be determined during the initial
appointment phase.

The post-doc will also have the opportunity to mentor undergraduates in the
research process, as they can contribute to the post-doc’s activities within
Singapore.

Starting date is negotiable, but no later than August 2010.

Please send a cover letter, cv, representative publications and contact
information for three references to Dr. Edward Webb, Applied Plant Ecology
Lab, National University of Singapore.

email: ted.w...@nus.edu.sg