Well it's undeniably true that an overwhelming number of solicitations in
the field specifically ask for this particular connection.  It's also true
more and more in the literature that any paper no matter how loosely
connected to climate change seems to feel obligated to talk about it.  There
are probably many scientists, particularly in the carbon game, that wouldn't
be here but for the fact that overall funding in the environmental field is
so minuscule (compared to say that apportioned for health or defense) that
one needs to pick spots where they can actually work.  Like it or not, money
leads research, but if environmental scientists were only interested in
landing fat grants, they'd be MUCH better off in another field.  You'll find
more pvc and duct tape in an ecology lab than in a plumbers van, mostly
because we can't afford anything else (and hell it works!).

I've also never come across a solicitation that told it's recipients what to
find.  As long as the methods are sound, scientists are generally free to
make their own conclusions.  This is one of the areas in which science is
fundamentally misunderstood by the public, as the rigorous progression of a
novel idea to a paradigm is not something that happens without serious
challenges from within the community itself.  There isn't a greater
community of skeptics on the planet!  What's more, skepticism is encouraged
within the realm of intelligent debate.  There isn't one of us that wouldn't
like to conclusively prove that climate change isn't happening, which is why
the near consensus on the topic (at least with regards to the overall trend)
is so impressive.

I'm not aware of many scientists who have somehow enriched themselves in
climate change research.  To me this makes the money claims levied by the
disenfranchised millionaires (billionaires?) in the fossil fuel industry,
beyond absurd.

What detractors misunderstand is that if someone is getting rich off climate
science it sure isn't us.