The Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary has openings for two undergraduate university
interns to help with on-going studies of Eastern Mud Turtle (Kinosternum
subrubrum subrubrum) and Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina)
population ecology and habitat use. Seven turtle species inhabit the marshes
and beaver ponds in our study area along the Patuxent River estuary in central
Maryland. Mud and box turtles occupy both deciduous forests and freshwater
tidal wetlands. Our studies investigate habitat use, daily movements,
population density, sex ratio, and natural history. Our goal is to understand
the functional role of turtles within their wetland and upland ecosystems. We
use radio telemetry, hoop traps, kayaks, canoes, and small boats to track and
locate turtles. Interns work under the supervision of Sanctuary Director Chris
Swarth.

The Sanctuary is a 1,700 acre ecological field station and environmental
education center in southern Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The Sanctuary is
operated by the county parks department and is part of the Chesapeake Bay
National Estuarine Research Reserve. To learn more about the Sanctuary, visit
www.jugbay.org.

Qualifications
Applicant must be a life science major at the junior or senior level (recent
graduates are okay). Intern applicants should enjoy fieldwork and should be
able to tolerate long hours in the field under hot, wet, and muddy conditions.
Previous ecological field research is a plus. It helps to have a high degree of
self-motivation.

In addition to helping with turtle studies, interns help with bird banding,
reptile surveys, fish seining, and water quality studies. Each intern will also
carry out an independent research project on some aspect of turtle ecology. At
the end of the field season in August, interns give an oral presentation and
prepare a written report on their independent project.

Work schedule
May 10 to August 15. An earlier state date may be okay. Interns work 5
days/week. Occasional weekend and evening work is required.

Housing
We do not have on-site housing. Interns will need to find their own housing.
The Sanctuary is 18 miles south of Annapolis and 15 miles east of Washington,
DC.

Stipend Award: $3,600.
The Friends of Jug Bay, a non-profit citizen's organization, provides the Jug
Bay Fellowship monetary award (stipend) which supports each intern. Additional
funding comes from the Anne Arundel County government and the Chesapeake Bay
National Estuarine Research Reserve.

Application Procedure
Please send a cover letter with statement of goals and explain why you want the
position; a resume summarizing your education and work experience; transcripts
(need not be "official"); and the names and email addresses of 3 references.
Applications must be received by March 30.

Send application materials to cswa...@jugbay.org
or by mail to:
Chris Swarth
Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary