Michelle,

The PhD programs in Canada are a bit of a mix between the US model and the EU model. The focus is on the research and the student may take courses based on the needs deemed by the student, committee, and comprehensive exam at the end of the first year of the PhD. To echo what Fabrice said, it really comes down the school you choose. An internationally recognized school in your field will give you the credentials you need. If you wanted to work for the US government, then it may benefit you to have working experience in the region where you apply for an added advantage over other candidates.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Lewin, M.Sc., Adv. Dipl. GIS