All:

Please reply to Don Weber below not Sam Droege...thanks
sam
P.S.  I have planted a bunch of Chia in my Garden!

Chia (Salvia hispanica) is a promising pollinator provider and cover crop.
 We need trials under a variety of growing conditions to see what its full
potential is as a bee forage crop and cover crop!
Yes, it?s the same chia as in ?Ch-ch-chia Pet?, but aside from sprouting
on whimsical ceramic figures, it is a tall annual in the mint family,
native to Central America and Mexico, and was the 3rd most important
staple of the Aztecs, to say nothing of its special nutritional benefits.
Many mints are great bee plants but many are also aggresive perennials
which will take over a garden.  Not chia, which  may offer the pollinator
benefits of the mint family without the aggressive, weedy side.
Please see my website and links there for more info:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/docs.htm?docid=19317
Then, email me for your free seed, with instructions on planting it and
reporting your crop results and what bees it attracts!
Thanks for all of your interest,
Don Weber
Donald C. Weber, Research Entomologist & Lead Scientist
USDA Agricultural Research Service
Invasive Insect Biocontrol & Behavior Laboratory
Bldg. 011A, Rm. 107, BARC-West Beltsville, MD 20705  USA

don.we...@ars.usda.gov
http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people/people.htm?personid=30842