To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Ecology Terminology Ecologist Landscape Re: [ECOLOG-L] Marine Landscape Ecologist

Wayne, as you probably know, we used to use terms such as "watershed
management" to describe a more holistic approach to broad-area applied
ecology.  Wanting to make it geographically less exclusive and
scientifically more refined, we started using the term "landscape ecology."

That's an oversimplification, I know, but it's a useful term that makes
sense to practitioners, decision-makers and bystanders. And "scape" in this
sense comes from the Dutch "scap" which is related to "create" or "shape"
(e.g., "landscaping" which produces a "landscape"). So the meaning of
"landscape" was expanded to include natural areas which are already
nature-"shaped."

Warren W. Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
Tigard, Oregon