Good day everyone,

I have been reading this thread and have been fascinated by it because I
think it's a great question to ask.  I have just been accepted to grad
school and while applying, one of my main concerns of my potential school
and adviser was how I was going to be treated.  Unfortunately, while
applying to grad schools, students get so wrapped up in whether or not they
are good enough for the schools they are applying to, they forget to ask
themselves whether the school is good enough for them.  I think the most
important question to ask is, what is our worth as a grad student to
ourselves?
I worked extremely hard during my undergrad years so that I would be 'good
enough' to attend one of the prestigious schools for oceanography but during
my quest for a graduate school, I forgot to ask what school is good enough
for me.  If a student is aware that they are a great candidate for which
ever schools they are applying for, then I think that they should take into
account how they would be treated as a student, not only by their potential
adviser, but by the school as well.  I know that this may not be possible
for all students applying to grad school, but for those of us that have a
choice I think that we should start making it clear to the schools that one
main factor in our decision to accept them is how we will be treated.  Will
we have quiet work spaces?  Will we have ample opportunities to interact
with our adviser(s)? Will we have the freedom to present new ideas in our
research? Will I just be a slave to teaching classes and grading papers? I
know one student that wanted the TA experience because she wanted to teach
in the future, but was forced to do nothing but research.  In her case, she
picked the wrong adviser. But why? Did she not ask the right questions
before making her decision?

I think that as someone who just went through the application process, I
advise others to remember why you are going to grad school and who you are
trying to benefit in the the end.  I am not going to grad school just to get
a prestigious degree, nor am I there for the university or the adviser's
sake.  I am there to learn from the best people in my particular niche of
oceanography, to get a great education (from both the research and class
work), and to have the best possible work environment for me. I took longer
than normal to make my decision as to which school I want to get my
doctorates degree from, but I think that taking the time to make sure that
both the school and my adviser was going to be a good match for me, is going
to pay off in the long run. I think that those that are still in the
application process should remember their own value, what they are worth,
and the skills and assets they are able to bring to the university.

Just my two cents.

Melissa