Ecolog:

Back on April 12, 2010, I posted an enquiry along these lines that resulted in
an off-list discussion between three Ecolog-l subscribers and three others. A
lot of interesting points were made, but this side discussion did not, in my
view, settle the matter of what terminology, if any, should be used to describe
the ecological phenomena associated with plants (and other organisms) that
"colonize" or "invade" parts of the earth upon which they did not appear/evolve
before dispersal by human culture (including various artifacts and impacts and
domesticated plants and animals and their cohorts).

Since the off-line discussion did not seem to resolve the issue beyond
opinions, I am submitting my version of the results for consideration by the
Ecolog community.

Among the points (you can ignore these, but they give SOME idea of where the
discussion wandered) made by various correspondents were:

1. Persistence is an interesting problem, since it requires an arbitrary
stipulation.  Fitness is demonstrated (or not) generation by generation.

2. . . .why ARE so-called "natives" of a higher value than so-called "exotics"?
 How far back are we supposed to go before something is considered "native?"

3. . . . humans should learn how the land works, make minimal changes and only
necessary ones, and try to adapt to the landscape as best as possible, using
history's lessons to create our future.  Trying to make zero "footprint" or
impact or change as we live our lives is like trying to swim without getting
wet or making ripples.

4. Eventually Albert Thellung split 'aliens' into 7 distinct categories in
1912: ergasiophytes, ergasiolipophytes, ergasiophygophytes, archaeophytes,
neophytes, epecophytes, and ephemerophytes; plus two more denoting 'wild'
plants growing in modified habitats.  Search any of them and they'll pop up in
recent central European literature, but they're dead letters in the Anglophone
world.

5. Alien and invasive are both relative.  The labels are relevant only in areas
where new populations have (respectively) appeared, and spread in some
discomfiting manner.  They provide no information about any biological essence
of any species . . .

6. What matters is fitness under prevailing conditions.

7. . . . the whole question of what response to invasive species is morally
best is beside the point.

8. For now, I still believe that each of these terms reflects an objective
reality, but that each has nebulous boundaries.

9. The danger of separating natural from artificial mentally might be that we
think we have to exclude nature wherever we go.  The danger of not separating
them is that it can help us rationalize an anything-goes approach to natural
systems.

10. Have we decided on any definitions, or are there still differences about
terminology? Are we ready to list them yet, even if with a multiplicity of
definitions? Either way, it looks like we're making entertaining progress in
the realm of associated phenomena. Maybe that's the first, if indirect, hurdle
in gaining a workable set of terms?

11. My question is, what belongs there, and why?

12. . . . the important thing is to keep the lines of communication
open--ESPECIALLY with those who have "alien" ideas.

13. Once an idea catches on, it's next to impossible to replace it with another
one--something like the tenacity of an alien species--or, one might also say
with equal "validity" or "spin," that, like the popular pastime of reasoning by
analogy, that it is an example of resistance to invasion.

14. I am interested in the question of whether we ought to "subsidize the
unfit, and suppress the fit."

My own summary interpretation of some of the various conclusions are:

1. All organisms move from place to place by some means.

2. Some don't survive in some places.

3. Some survive and reproduce in "new" places better than some of the organisms
that apparently evolved adaptations in accordance with site conditions.

4. Because of various semantic alliances, word meanings and etymology, and
interpretations thereof, terms like "colonizer," "invader," and "alien" are
deemed unsatisfatory to some for the purposes of disciplined enquiry into
ecological phenomena.

5. Testable hypotheses seem to be lacking.

This is all very incomplete; I hope that contributions from Ecolog subscribers
will help to make it more so, if not resolve the issue(s).

WT