On 5/13/2010 12:31 PM, Josh Donlan wrote:
I would argue the answer to this question is not so cut and dry. Recent genetic
evidence paints a more complicated story, and suggests quite close relationship
- at least genetically.

Weinstock et al. 2005. PLOS Biology
Evolution, Systematics, and Phylogeography of Pleistocene Horses in the New
World: A Molecular Perspective

The rich fossil record of horses has made them a classic example of
evolutionary processes. However, while the overall picture of equid evolution
is well known, the details are surprisingly poorly understood, especially for
the later Pliocene and Pleistocene, c. 3 million to 0.01 million years (Ma)
ago, and nowhere more so than in the Americas. There is no consensus on the
number of equid species or even the number of lineages that existed in these
continents. Likewise, the origin of the endemic South American genus Hippidion
is unresolved, as is the phylogenetic position of the “stilt-legged” horses of
North America. Using ancient DNA sequences, we show that, in contrast to
current models based on morphology and a recent genetic study, Hippidion was
phylogenetically close to the caballine (true) horses, with origins
considerably more recent than the currently accepted date of c. 10 Ma.
Furthermore, we show that stilt-legged horses, commonly regarded as Old World
migrants !
related to the hemionid asses of Asia, were in fact an endemic North American
lineage. Finally, our data suggest that there were fewer horse species in late
Pleistocene North America than have been named on morphological grounds. Both
caballine and stilt-legged lineages may each have comprised a single,
wide-ranging species.