Dave had a question that at first glance seems tough to answer, but it
reminds me of what I teach my biostatistics students.  Rule number one,
never do anything unless you can explain exactly why you did that thing (as
opposed to any other option), and you have to explain that to your mother so
that she understands your choice.

So, sufficient knowledge is enough that you could explain the topic to
someone else to their satisfaction.  Therefore, if you feel that if you were
called on in a crowd to explain "string theory" and you would decline
thinking that you didn't know enough, well then, you don't know enough.
 Thus, we are each our own judge on this matter. If I can't explain
something so that you can understand it, then I don't know it well enough to
have an opinion on it.

Cheers,

Jim