Patrick,
I think the point of all research is to increase our knowledge of how the
natural world works.  It's how the information is used that determines whether
there are immediate applications of that knowledge or whether it needs to sit
and "cook" for awhile while other research fills in the holes in the story.

You make the "point" of research when you choose your question and plan your
projects.  But remember, it is a service to our collective knowledge when any
new information is gathered and reported.

Best wishes,
Liane

D. Liane Cochran-Stafira, Ph.D.
Associate Professor