Dear Sanghoon,
I thought of the issue for a while too.
In my mind, variability is a word to be used in broad sense, but heterogeneity is one more specific. Dependent on the spatial context (known spatial location or unknown), the two words convey different level of content. Variability (variations of values) are actually spatial scale dependent(study plot or area), but many studies usually don't require an accurate record of spatial location (or pattern) of their sampling, rather, more focus on changes of "central tendency" for their research goals. I have used coefficient of variation (CV) and Cocran's C test to index variability in my study. With accurate spatial location known, variability can be well represented by heterogeneity, which can be indexed by a various of methods (trend surface analysis, autocorrlation correlograms, kriging maps). In my recent publication we explored the within-plot variability and contrasting spatial heterogeneity among three land uses.

Li J, Richter DD, Mendoza A, Heine P (2010) Effects of land-use history on soil spatial heterogeneity of macro- and trace elements in the Southern Piedmont USA. Geoderma 156:60-73

Hope it helps.
Thanks,
Jianwei

------